Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Urgent!! How to write a shell program to execute command to access internet? Post 2185 by firebirdonfire on Thursday 26th of April 2001 10:12:47 AM
Old 04-26-2001
hi,

I am new ot unix. So, can i write a shell(c shell or korn shell) program to access internet? I mean if I run the program, it can access specified url and then copy the html to a file? Can anyone help me? And how can make the program runs every 1 hr?

new comer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Urgent help required in Shell Program

How do I Ftp, and rename multiple files in one unix script. I have to send it with .tmp extension , then rename it to .txt after FTP is done . I need to do a Mass rename of more than 1 file in a shell script , Urgent help required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Suppandi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plz Help : How to use write command to execute command on some other terminal

Hi Group , I m trying to execute commands on some other system using write command but inspite of executing the commands they r passed as simple messages. - i m writing >write user-id ! ls o ctrl-d inspite of executing the command ls,other terminal shows ! ls. Thnx in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aashish
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to open program and send/execute command in program

Hi, i want to write a script that executes a program (exec?) . this program then requires a filename as input. how do i give it this input in the script so the program will be complete run and close by the script. e.g. exec prog.exe program then asks for filename "enter filename:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a shell script to execute a command

Hello all, I have just started doing shell scripting. I want to read a file which stores the status of my job I have submitted on a cluster. The file looks something like this : ========================FILE============================= crab: Checking the status of all jobs: please wait... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn_linux
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone pls give a sample to execute a shell script from C program Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
2 Replies

6. Programming

C program to execute shell script

Hi, Can anyone give me a sample code to execute shell script from C program. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baigmd
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to write a script or program to automatic execute and link input file data

Output file template format <input_file_name>a</input_file_name> <total_length_size>b</total_length_size> <log_10_length_size>c</log_10_length_size> Input_file_1 (eg. sample.txt) SDFSDGDGSFGRTREREYWW Parameter: a is equal to the input file name b is equal to the total length of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a C program from Shell

Hi I want to create a shell script tha executes a C program and then retrieves information about it. I managed to run the program with: #!/bin/bash gcc -o program program.c ./program Now i want to get the id of the process (pid) Any help would be appreciated, Thank you (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nteath
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute C program in Current shell

Hello, I have a c program executable which I need to run inside a shell script. But the c program runs in a subshell because of which all the actions done by the c program is not available to the current shell. Is there any way to execute a C program binary executable in the current shell? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinverma
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Problem in access the internet through command line

Hi Folks, I have installed Centos-6.4 in my VMware. I have enabled the proxy settings in the network and I am able to access the internet through GUI, but unable to browse via the command line. I did the below options as: 1) Added the proxy setting in /etc/environment file.export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)