Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please Help Me With This Nice And Renice Stuff Post 21849 by TRUEST on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 03:00:16 PM
Old 05-23-2002
Please Help Me With This Nice And Renice Stuff

i read a book about this a couple of times and i still find it confusing.

they talking about when you increase a priority number, that decreases nice number. I really dont understand this.

I'm working on a solaris and linux red hat 7.2 system.

if anyone can explain this stuff to me in full depth and also tell me the situation it is most used in, I will certainly appreciate it.

(please explain it in plain english)

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

weird stuff

I coudln't think of another topic to post this under as the OS on the system is XP pro. Ok here is the go. I'm upgrdaing a mates computer. A AMD 1200Mhz and well it wouldn't boot from the CD to do a fresh install (By upgrade I mean OS with complete new install). So I opened up the box and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renice job

Hi everyone, I am working on a server that there is a rule to renice your jobs if they exceed 1 hour of running. I wrote a script that calls a program that runs for some thousand times. When I do 'top' I can see in the processes the program running but not the name of my script that I run... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Farsinos
1 Replies

3. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A schoolboyish stuff

Hi , This is a pretty simple sed command i found when i was checking out one of the codes of my colleague . sed -e 's/\*.*\) \(\ <1*e\ >\) \(*.*\)/\2/' When i tried this on a few text files it was displaying the entire line. If this was to display entire line why sweat out on a sed . Does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
3 Replies

5. AIX

nice and renice

hello , We would like to increase the priority of the oracle process . Process(240001 ) should get the priority like the process(240103 ). Am not sure what value i should mention in the renice command(aix 6.1). Please assist me. 240001 A oracle 26804312 1 0 60 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renice command with input argument as a file

Hi all could you help me how to give pids in a file as an argument to renice command. Thanks in Advance.. :) Pradeep (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
4 Replies

7. Programming

More Arduino Stuff...

HI all... (Apologies for any typos.) To add to Neo's Arduino subject matter I have decided to upload this in ".zip" format. Ignore "*.info" files these are AMIGA icons only and also the "HAM" drawer as these are photos in ancient AMIGA HAM modes. I have noticed that there are current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
RENICE(1)							   User Commands							 RENICE(1)

NAME
renice - alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice [-n] priority [-g|-p|-u] identifier... DESCRIPTION
renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The first argument is the priority value to be used. The other arguments are interpreted as process IDs (by default), process group IDs, user IDs, or user names. renice'ing a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. renice'ing a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. OPTIONS
-n, --priority priority Specify the scheduling priority to be used for the process, process group, or user. Use of the option -n or --priority is optional, but when used it must be the first argument. -g, --pgrp Interpret the succeeding arguments as process group IDs. -p, --pid Interpret the succeeding arguments as process IDs (the default). -u, --user Interpret the succeeding arguments as usernames or UIDs. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
The following command would change the priority of the processes with PIDs 987 and 32, plus all processes owned by the users daemon and root: renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 NOTES
Users other than the superuser may only alter the priority of processes they own. Furthermore, an unprivileged user can only increase the ``nice value'' (i.e., choose a lower priority) and such changes are irreversible unless (since Linux 2.6.12) the user has a suitable ``nice'' resource limit (see ulimit(1) and getrlimit(2)). The superuser may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range -20 to 19. Useful priorities are: 19 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user IDs SEE ALSO
nice(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), credentials(7), sched(7) HISTORY
The renice command appeared in 4.0BSD. AVAILABILITY
The renice command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 RENICE(1)