Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SCSI Tape Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SCSI Tape Error Post 21814 by Andre on Thursday 23rd of May 2002 06:23:01 AM
Old 05-23-2002
Question SCSI Tape Error

When I am trying to read any tape I getthe following message on my screen:
"stp: Error on SCSI tape=0 (ha=0 id=6 lun=0)"

Does anybody know how to solve this problem and what the message means.

I already have rebooted the server and cleaned the heads of the tape unit.

HELP!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scsi Tape Message?????

I do daily backups running a shell script. I use 6 different tapes for each day (monday through saturday). First of all I insert the tape then run the script and when it finished I eject the tape. Until today I was doing this with no problem, but now I'm getting this message constantly (even... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scsi tape drive.

I'm running SCO OS 505 on a Compaq proliant 1600, and my tape drive will just not work. It was working properly and whent to Sh?ts when I tried to get the cd rom working. I have uninstalled any configured tape drive and rebooted and then configured a tape drive and rebooted still nothing. I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikkin
4 Replies

3. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

4. HP-UX

Modules Required For SCSI Tape?

I've got an HP9000 server and I'm trying to hook up a tape drive to it. When I go into "SAM-->Peripheral Devices-->Tape Drives", the tape isn't listed. I then choose to "ADD" a drive, and I get the following error. I know I need to install the "stape" module, but for some reason even that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quantumdude
2 Replies

5. SCO

Installing SCSI Tape drive

Hello, I'm having some issues with installing SCSI tape drive on SCO 5.0.6 hardware config shows the following adapters %adapter 0xE800-0xE8FF 10 - type=alad ha=0 bus=0 id=7 fts=sto %adapter 0x0170-0x0177 15 - type=IDE ctlr=secondary dvr=wd %adapter - 3 - ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananth_ak
3 Replies

6. SCO

SCSI tape on Openserver 5.0.6

Running into an interesting problem here: I can add the tape with "mkdev tape" the system appears to see it wwith "hwconfig -hc" however a 'tape status /dev/rStp0' says 'no device found', checked the configuration files in 'etc' all appear to be correct. Any suggestion appreciated Jim (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimj1369
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Restoring dump from tape to SCSI disk

Hi Gurus, I need help. Mine is an Ultra 10 machine running on solaris 7. Problem with solaris 7 is, it can no longer recognize IDE disks greater that 10GB. My workaround is ro use an external SCSI disk since it is recognizable with solaris 7. I backup my filesystems (residing on the IDE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domesat
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with SCSI card and tape drive

Currenty running SCO Openserver 6 at a Dell PowerEdge T300. I recently installed a driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (adpu320). When I connect a tape drive to it and re-start the system,it freezes and displays the following message: "WARNING: adpu320: Command timed out (ha= 4)" and the system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RicardoM
2 Replies

9. Hardware

Help with scsi tape drive problem

I've had a scsi hard drive, scsi tape drive, and cd rom working off an adaptec 29160 controller. Everything worked great until a few days ago. I begin getting tar format errors (running sco 5.0.6) on the tape drive and occasionally the entire system would hang up while trying to access data on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: powwm
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Adding Legacy SCSI tape to Ent Rel 6 64

I have Ent Rel 6 64 bit running in a virtualized environment. I wish to add a Ultium 3 U320 Scsi tape drive. I add an LSI LSI20320IE SCSI controller to the virtual server. The controller shows under the machine settings, but the OS doesn't see a tape drive. /proc/scsi/scsi shows only Virtual CDRom... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adone36
0 Replies
RESTOR(1M)																RESTOR(1M)

NAME
restor - incremental file system restore SYNOPSIS
restor key [ argument ... ] DESCRIPTION
Restor is used to read magtapes dumped with the dump command. The key specifies what is to be done. Key is one of the characters rRxt optionally combined with f. f Use the first argument as the name of the tape instead of the default. r or R The tape is read and loaded into the file system specified in argument. This should not be done lightly (see below). If the key is R restor asks which tape of a multi volume set to start on. This allows restor to be interrupted and then restarted (an icheck -s must be done before restart). x Each file on the tape named by an argument is extracted. The file name has all `mount' prefixes removed; for example, /usr/bin/lpr is named /bin/lpr on the tape. The file extracted is placed in a file with a numeric name supplied by restor (actually the inode number). In order to keep the amount of tape read to a minimum, the following procedure is recommended: Mount volume 1 of the set of dump tapes. Type the restor command. Restor will announce whether or not it found the files, give the number it will name the file, and rewind the tape. It then asks you to `mount the desired tape volume'. Type the number of the volume you choose. On a multivolume dump the recom- mended procedure is to mount the last through the first volume in that order. Restor checks to see if any of the files requested are on the mounted tape (or a later tape, thus the reverse order) and doesn't read through the tape if no files are. If you are working with a single volume dump or the number of files being restored is large, respond to the query with `1' and restor will read the tapes in sequential order. If you have a hierarchy to restore you can use dumpdir(1) to produce the list of names and a shell script to move the resulting files to their homes. t Print the date the tape was written and the date the filesystem was dumped from. The r option should only be used to restore a complete dump tape onto a clear file system or to restore an incremental dump tape onto this. Thus /etc/mkfs /dev/rp0 40600 restor r /dev/rp0 is a typical sequence to restore a complete dump. Another restor can be done to get an incremental dump in on top of this. A dump followed by a mkfs and a restor is used to change the size of a file system. FILES
default tape unit varies with installation rst* SEE ALSO
dump(1), mkfs(1), dumpdir(1) DIAGNOSTICS
There are various diagnostics involved with reading the tape and writing the disk. There are also diagnostics if the i-list or the free list of the file system is not large enough to hold the dump. If the dump extends over more than one tape, it may ask you to change tapes. Reply with a new-line when the next tape has been mounted. BUGS
There is redundant information on the tape that could be used in case of tape reading problems. Unfortunately, restor doesn't use it. RESTOR(1M)