Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP as Super User
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FTP as Super User Post 21793 by chenly on Wednesday 22nd of May 2002 11:49:52 PM
Old 05-23-2002
Lightbulb No problem!

No problem, fbavent! The sudo commmand is a corruption of "pseudo," as in pseudonym, i.e., an alias. Sudo lets you impersonate the superuser for any command line. If you'd like the manual pages for sudo, they're on your system now--type in man sudo to view them. If you'd like one of my patented shiny PDFs of this or any other manual page, just post below--I'll e-mail it to you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reassigning key functions in super user mode

At my old job the TAB key was used in Super User mode rather than the default of the ESC key. I was wondering how to reassign the TAB key so that it acquires the functions of the ESC key. Thanks for the help. -Shana (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehcar511
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

BAD SUPER BLOCK - Run fsck with alternate super block number

Error received when I tried to restore a blank disk with an 'auto recovery' DDS tape via HP-UX recovery system 2.0 onto a 1Gb SCSI. I assumed it would do the setup, wrong. Could someone tell me the procedure to initial disk for recovering files using cpio. The system is a HP-UX 9.04 version on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin wanabee
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsh as super user without password prompt

Dear forum, First off, I'm using Solaris 5.6 UNIX. I'm trying to write a script which will connect to remote computers on a network (by specific IP's from a hosts file) and will run a separate script which is installed in each of the remote computers. My problem is that to run the script in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheMightyUrrrrf
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Sunsolaris shell script runs only as super user

Hi Friends, I am new to Sun solaris unix.I am facing problem while runing my kornshell script just as an ordinary user.The script works fine while i am working as a super user.the script just uses awk to check the first charcter of a file and then copies the file to another folder. Do i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjithin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script using awk works only as super user

hi friends, I am a new Sun Solaris 10 user. I have the following script line=$(awk '{if(substr($0,1,1)!="#" && substr($0,1,1)!=";" && substr($0,1,1)!=" " && substr($0,1,1)!="/" && substr($0,1,1)!="*" && substr($0,1,1)!="\\" && length($0)!=0) ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjithin
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto login to Super User account

i want to write to script which will login to su account without hving user interaction.( i know Super user password) i wrote following script its also able to log into su account. but seesion gets terminates soon. what can be done ??? or is there any other solution. i don't want to use expect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anup13
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

loggin remote computer as a super user.

hello all, can i loggin remote computer as a super user(i know root user/passwd) and change his access controlle list. if yes please tell me how to do it, i am new to linux. thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I run command with super user privledge

Hello All, I am working on UNIX like environment. This environment is ported from UNIX. Here when we need to build product set, we need to run some script with super user privledge (which we normal user dont have) Is there any way (some C program or some script) through which any normal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshi123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP User

Dear Unix geeks, I am shocked and upset that I couldn't solve the below issue. One ftpuser was using his account for years to get data from server but reported an error today. 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.4) Name (10.130.9.71:root): rbiftp 331 Please specify the password. Password: 500 OOPS: cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naga06
2 Replies
sudo_root(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      sudo_root(8)

NAME
sudo_root - How to run administrative commands SYNOPSIS
sudo command sudo -i INTRODUCTION
By default, the password for the user "root" (the system administrator) is locked. This means you cannot login as root or use su. Instead, the installer will set up sudo to allow the user that is created during install to run all administrative commands. This means that in the terminal you can use sudo for commands that require root privileges. All programs in the menu will use a graphical sudo to prompt for a password. When sudo asks for a password, it needs your password, this means that a root password is not needed. To run a command which requires root privileges in a terminal, simply prepend sudo in front of it. To get an interactive root shell, use sudo -i. ALLOWING OTHER USERS TO RUN SUDO
By default, only the user who installed the system is permitted to run sudo. To add more administrators, i. e. users who can run sudo, you have to add these users to the group 'admin' by doing one of the following steps: * In a shell, do sudo adduser username admin * Use the graphical "Users & Groups" program in the "System settings" menu to add the new user to the admin group. BENEFITS OF USING SUDO
The benefits of leaving root disabled by default include the following: * Users do not have to remember an extra password, which they are likely to forget. * The installer is able to ask fewer questions. * It avoids the "I can do anything" interactive login by default - you will be prompted for a password before major changes can happen, which should make you think about the consequences of what you are doing. * Sudo adds a log entry of the command(s) run (in /var/log/auth.log). * Every attacker trying to brute-force their way into your box will know it has an account named root and will try that first. What they do not know is what the usernames of your other users are. * Allows easy transfer for admin rights, in a short term or long term period, by adding and removing users from the admin group, while not compromising the root account. * sudo can be set up with a much more fine-grained security policy. * On systems with more than one administrator using sudo avoids sharing a password amongst them. DOWNSIDES OF USING SUDO
Although for desktops the benefits of using sudo are great, there are possible issues which need to be noted: * Redirecting the output of commands run with sudo can be confusing at first. For instance consider sudo ls > /root/somefile will not work since it is the shell that tries to write to that file. You can use ls | sudo tee /root/somefile to get the behaviour you want. * In a lot of office environments the ONLY local user on a system is root. All other users are imported using NSS techniques such as nss-ldap. To setup a workstation, or fix it, in the case of a network failure where nss-ldap is broken, root is required. This tends to leave the system unusable. An extra local user, or an enabled root password is needed here. GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended! To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use: sudo passwd root Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment out the line %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL to disable sudo access to members of the admin group. SEE ALSO
sudo(8), https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo February 8, 2006 sudo_root(8)