Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find & tar execution problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find & tar execution problem Post 21755 by ianf on Wednesday 22nd of May 2002 10:34:06 AM
Old 05-22-2002
Thanks for that. Problem though when i type the tar command I get an error :

tar : find . -mtime -1 -type f: no such file or directory.

Thoughts please.

########### PLease ignore had ' instead of ` in line #############

Thanx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disaster recover w/tar & find

Hi, I am creating a disaster recovery plan for my Linux 7.2 machine. I have two backups from my current machine. One created using the command tar -cvpf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --directory / . and one created with the command find / /boot /home -mount -path '/proc' -prune -o -print |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with find and tar

When I am doing the first command the result shows all the files, links, directories except the ones that contain the word logs find . -type f -o -type l -o -type d | grep -v logs But when I am trying to do this even the logs are getting tarred tar -cvf fdtvision.tar `find . -type f -o -type l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar & Grep together

Hi, I've got dozens of tar's with two files in each one, live_access_log & live_error_log (one tar for each day, backups). The probelm is i need to match a pattern in all of the archive_access_log files and output the line to a seperate file (All_access.log). I.e. I need to get details... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom123
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar doubts - problem with tar

The below tar command works fine for me, tar -cvf - `find ./srcdir -type d` | (cd ./destdir ; tar -xvf - ) but this version is giving error to me: cd ./srcdir && tar -cf - . | gzip -9 | cd ../destdir && gzip -d | tar -xf - error is: gzip: compressed data not read from a terminal.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar command loop during execution

I've some problem concerning tar command. Sometime tar command submitted to create a tar file, in execution loop over the same group of files. Can anyone help me? Tanks (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jocker
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Graphical Display Of Script Execution & Output

Hello All i have a KSH script which basically takes attribute name as input argument and searches whole Netezza appliance and prints information of where that column is used (Table/Views) etc. Problem with this approach business users have to raise SUDO access request, Install Putty, run through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)