Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed question Post 2159 by PxT on Tuesday 24th of April 2001 03:35:45 PM
Old 04-24-2001
Use ed, or (preferably) perl. sed only operates on a stream -- i.e. stdin -> stdout
(thus the name "<STRONG>S</STRONG>tream <STRONG>ED</STRONG>itor")

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question

Hi, Is there any way to traverse the file once and look for the following conditions in one sweep instead of going over the file 3 times with different search criteria...... sed -n '/^ORA-07445/ p' /tmp/t$$ > ${OERRFILE} sed -n '/^ORA-00600/ p' /tmp/t$$ >> ${OERRFILE} ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YS2002
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question (again)

hello there, I have a sed question. I have a file (temp.srv), in it it has v1_host1 v2_host2 And I have another file (temp2.srv), in it is has v1_host3_date v1_host1 v2_host2 v2_host4_date v3_host5_date I had used a script to remove the name from temp2.srv base on the name inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahtat99
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

Hi, When deleting lines using sed, as i understand the lines are redirected to the standard output. What i'm unclear about is how to actually modify the file? If I write the command sed '1,2d' test it will display lines one and 2 onto the screen however the file is not modified? I think my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

Hi, :) can any body explain the following statement sed 's/\(\)- ]//g' cheers RRK (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

I have a file that conatins following info Policy1=U|guestRoom=test1idCode=5(1):!:Amenity2=U|RoomId=testrma=4(1):!:| GuestRoomAmenity1=U|guestRoomId=testguest1id^rmaCode=5(1):!:| I need it to look like this Policy1=U|guestRoom=test1idCode Amenity2=U|RoomId=testrmaCode... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed question

How would I use sed to print everything on the line after the regular expresion? I have a configuration file setting several variables. cfg.dat DDB = cpptest SUDBNAME = sucpptestdb host = cpptest Example I want to search for the regular expresion 'SUDBNAME =' and print everything on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question 1. (Don't quite know how to use sed! Thanks)

Write a sed script to extract the year, rank, and stock for the most recent 10 years available in the file top10_mktval.csv, and output in the following format: ------------------------------ YEAR |RANK| STOCK ------------------------------ 2007 | 1 | Exxon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beibeiatNY
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question

hi i have a file with this line: variable=/export/home/oracle I want to change the file so that the path is replaced with the value of another variable var2=/tmp/anything. how to do this in sed? thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed question

I need to replace the numbers with a new string. How can I give a wildcard for the different # of numbers sed '/abcdef/s/abcdef=*/abcdef=999999/'<foo>foo1 From: To: abcdef=1234 abcdef=999999 abcdef=12345 abcdef=999999 abcdef=123456... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: beppler
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED question

I am trying to write a script that will take an input text file in the format person: place: phonenumber; person: place: phonenumber; person: place: phonenumber; ... and output it using sed too: Name ######## Location ######### Phone Number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmack56
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)