Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: deleting record file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting record file Post 2149 by yatno on Monday 23rd of April 2001 10:09:02 PM
Old 04-23-2001
Question

if in my file consist with record like this :

AAA1234567
BBB3314134
AAA1232134
CCC1231232
DDD0980980
AAA8098090

And I want to delete record
which substring(record,1,3)="AAA".

Is it possible to do that (deleting specific record) by unix shell script or perl without coding any high level language (like C or java).
if it is possible, what is the command/ statement ?

thank's for your kind answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a record and adding a record to a file

Hi, I am new to UNIX scripting and woiuld appreicate your help... Input file contains only one (but long) record: aaaaabbbbbcccccddddd..... Desired file: NEW RECORD #new record (hardcoded) added as first record - its length is irrelevant# aaaaa bbbbb ccccc ddddd ... ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsolap
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search a bad record in a file then put the record in the bad file

I need to write a script that can find a bad record (for example: there is date field colom but value provided in the file for this field is N/A) then script shoud searches this pattern and then insert the whole record into the bad file. Example: File1 Name designation dateOfJoining... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shilendrajadon
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read record by record from a file in unix

Hi guys, i have a big file with the following format.This includes header(H),detail(D) and trailer(T) information in the file.My problem is i have to search for the character "6h" at 14 th and 15 th position in all the records .if it is there i have to write all those records into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raoscb
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting record in a file by looking up another file

I have two files which are pipe delimited "|". Also, each record in these files will end with a "|" File 1 ==== EMPID|NAME|DEPT 1|AAA|PPP 2|BBB|QQQ 3|CCC|RRR 4|DDD|SSS 5|EEE|TTT File 2 (EMPID of those employees who have left the organisation) ==== EMPID| 2| 5| I have to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file...

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file... just like join ... if the record present in both files.. delete from first file or delete the particular record and write the unmatched records to new file.. tried with grep and while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msathees
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare current record,with next and previous record in awk without using array?

Hi! all can any one tell me how to compare current record of column with next and previous record in awk without using array my case is like this input.txt 0 32 1 26 2 27 3 34 4 26 5 25 6 24 9 23 0 32 1 28 2 15 3 26 4 24 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract timestamp from first record in xml file and it checks if not it will replace first record

I have test.xml <emp><id>101</id><name>AAA</name><date>06/06/14 1811</date></emp> <Join><id>101</id><city>london</city><date>06/06/14 2011</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>new york</city><date>06/06/14 1811</date></join> <Join><id>101</id><city>sydney</city><date>06/06/14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsraju
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need code for updating second record to first record in shell scripting

Hi,, I have requirement that i need to get DISTINCT values from a table and if there are two records i need to update it to one record and then need to submit INSERT statements by using the updated value as a parameter. Here is the example follows.. SELECT DISTINCT ID FROM OFFER_GROUP WHERE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Samah
1 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)