Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hacking in the forums
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Hacking in the forums Post 21449 by LivinFree on Thursday 16th of May 2002 12:12:36 PM
Old 05-16-2002
To Boris888:

I personally have been reading Bugtraq Incidents, MS-Focus, and other security mailing lists for quite some time now, and I disagree with you.
Quote:
Boris888: the detection of vulnerabilities on a given network to inform the sysadmins of their weakness
If you ever somehow got onto any network I'm responsible for, I'd hunt you down and punch you in the mouth. If you intrude, you're an intruder, no matter how big a favor you think you're doing me. And that is consiodered black or at least grey in my book. White would not intrude. Nor would I call that a "hack", as I would consider it a crack (unless of course you discovered, fixed, and wrote PoC for it, in which case you notify the developer before continuing).

This is also not the place for a flame-war about the merits of white / black / grey hats.

I take the network security section of the forum as a place to discuss keeping your systems secure. Not "how to hax0r"...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hacking

I asked my firend about hacking so he told me to come here. I want to know how to get Volumes I, II and III. Does anyone know how to help me and help me become a good hacker? This is what i came here to do!!!!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nfsu2
2 Replies

2. Linux

Hacking

Im wondering how i can chat to some one (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hacking in UNIX

Just give link to hacking soft like ipscanners, brutforses, firewalls , etc maybe you know about new projects in this area p.s. thanks for help You might want to read the rules - Note # 11. Thread closed. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ty3
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

What kind of hacking is going on here??

Connecting to the Internet with OpenVPN, the connection fails. Rerunning openvpn works second time round but the install is hacked at that point (e.g., a rogue 'java-security' update tries to install itself on 'yum update', yum however spots this and rejects the download, other basic things start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

hacking

I want to start with hacking and learning it from the scratch! I have googled and found thousands of pages but I would like to know how to start really! It's always good to hear from security experts. please give me some links. the ones which are related to unix hacking. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Hacking buddy

Hi, I am looking for a technical soul willing to play around with technical stuff and exchange the knowledge and experience no matter how skilled would that be either begginer or experienced geek. If anybody interested just ping me in the thread here. Wish you a great day! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoofy
9 Replies
HUNTD(6)							 BSD Games Manual							  HUNTD(6)

NAME
huntd -- hunt daemon, back-end for hunt game SYNOPSIS
huntd [-s] [-p port] DESCRIPTION
huntd controls the multi-player hunt(6) game. When it starts up, it tries to notify all members of the hunt-players mailing list (see sendmail(8)) by faking a talk(1) request from user ``Hunt Game''. The -s option is for running huntd forever (server mode). This is similar to running it under the control of inetd(8) (see below), but it consumes a process table entry when no one is playing. The -p option changes the UDP port number used to rendezvous with the player process and thus allows for private games of hunt. This option turns off the notification of players on the hunt-players mailing list. INETD To run huntd from inetd(8), you'll need to put the hunt service in /etc/services: hunt 26740/udp # multi-player/multi-host mazewars and add the following line to /etc/inetd.conf: hunt dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/huntd huntd Do not use any of the command line options; if you want inetd(8) to start up huntd on a private port, change the port listed for hunt in /etc/services. NETWORK RENDEZVOUS
When hunt(6) starts up, it broadcasts on the local area net (using the broadcast address for each interface) to find a hunt game in progress. If a huntd hears the request, it sends back the port number for the hunt process to connect to. Otherwise, the hunt process starts up a huntd on the local machine and tries to rendezvous with it. SEE ALSO
talk(1), hunt(6), sendmail(8) AUTHORS
Conrad Huang, Ken Arnold, and Greg Couch; University of California, San Francisco, Computer Graphics Lab April 4, 2001