Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running two processes in background Post 21206 by jacob_gs on Monday 13th of May 2002 11:40:38 AM
Old 05-13-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Perderabo

I am a little worried about this. The parentheses create a subshell and the ampersand puts this subshell into the background. The subshell then uses nohup to run the first process and then it uses nohup to run the second process. The problem is that the subshell itself is not nohup'ed.

I think that
nohup sh -c "( A ; B )" &
will avoid this problem.
hi Perderabo,

great solution ! works just like i wanted it to.

Perderabo - you were right about the subshell not being nohup'ed

Cameron - thanks for initiating the solution-thought. greatly appreciated.

thanks folks
jacob

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background processes

How do you capture the return code from a background process? I am dumping data to a fifo and then processing it in a c program. I need to know that the sql finished successfully to ensure no missing data. Thanks. ex. sqlplus user/password < get_data.sql > data_fifo.txt & bin/process_data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: korndog
2 Replies

2. Linux

Question about background processes

Hi! First of all, let me warn you I'm quite new to the world of LINUX and Operating Systems understanding, so that's why I pose these newbie and stupid qustions... Anyway, I'm trying to build my own simple shell in C and I'm getting some problems in implementing the background process ('&')... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: neimaD
10 Replies

3. SuSE

oracle background processes

I have installed oracle 10g on suse sles9. I do not see oracle background processes. ps -ef|grep ora_ gives me environment variables junk. ps -ef|grep smon does not show anything however database is up and running. Any idea how to tweak that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayasawant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep a certain number of background processes running

I've got a bit of code I'm trying to work on... What i want to happen is ... at all times have four parallel mysql dump and imports running. I found the follow code snippet on the forum and modified it to work by starting four concurrent processes but it waits until all four are done before... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgob123
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disadvantage of background processes

Hi, Inorder to improve the performance, I am trying to execute my command as a background process.. For eg: To zip large numbers of files present in a directory instead of using a single process, i do follow the below method: gunzip -c > / &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unni.raj
3 Replies

6. Solaris

About running processes in background

Hi, I need to establish a procedure that will start an application in background each time my remote Solaris server is (re)started. This would be a kind of daemon. I am no sysadmin expert, so I am looking for pointers. How should I proceed? What are the main steps? Thanks, JVerstry (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Processes

Ok guys so I have my first dummy shell almost done except for one tiny part: I do not know how to run a process in the background, from the code! I already know how to do that in a normal shell: $ program & However, no clue when it comes to how to program that thing. :eek: A very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Across
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query on Running Multiple processes in background

HI All , Pardon me for asking some very basic questions, I would be grateful if someone can help. I am trying to execute a shell script which runs multiple processes in background. It includes various operations like copying , DB operations etc etc. Now problem is that the complete script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpta_varun
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on background processes

Hi, I have a schell script parent.ksh from which I am calling three background processes a.ksh,b.ksh and c.ksh. Once these three processes completes the next step in parent.ksh should execute. How to achieve this? Please help me.... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravinunna
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List all background processes

How do I list the process in a Unix based system which are running in background? The following are options that I'm aware of, but they may not be appropiate. a. using ps -ef , and getting records of processes for which STATUS='S'(uninterruptible sleep) b. using jobs -l, and filtering... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)