Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hosting Service Eating Space
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hosting Service Eating Space Post 2116 by cindy on Saturday 21st of April 2001 01:48:39 PM
Old 04-21-2001
Question

Dear Group,

I am not much used to UNIX. The company I am hosting wiht refuses to help me with this trouble, but as near as I can see, it is NOT my trouble.

I have had this service for over a year. I just renewed for another year and all of a sudden the disk quota has been disappearing. I deleted all files that grow like log files, mail archives, bounces, stuff like that.

But, the used space keeps growing and now the disk quota is completely full. I have deleted nearly every file off the server and yet the used space keeps growing.

When I tell the owner of the hosting company that this is happening and asked for an explaination, he basically told me he couldn't explain that and that I was stupid for asking.

One person did tell me that there might be some hidden files which I would never be able to see or delete and that what ever was in them is growing. Is this true?

This problem started one week ago, the day after I renewed my serivce. However, I had not added any files to the server after renewing the contract.

I am currently trying to move to a different server because of his repeated poor customer service, but I need to know if this is true about the hidden files and what one can do about this situation I am in if it ever happens again.

Thank you.
cindy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eating memory

Hello I run Gentoo Linux on my computer: Athlon XP 1700+ ~1,46 mhz 512 mb ram After a while, my computer works really slow, and when I cat /proc/meminfo, I see that I only have 8mb of 512 mb free! How is that possible? I dont run anything I can think of that eats that amount of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

What are you eating ?

Hi, guys ! I was wondering... how many of you are vegetarians ? and why ? (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
31 Replies

3. Solaris

This application is eating up the CPU

Hi, I am not very much fmiliar with Solaris OS. My main concern for posting is One application is eating 50% of CPU and I cannot run that application, If I perform any action in that application it takes real long time. I have solaris installed on my development machine.I have my application... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandu345
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] IF is eating my loops

Hi! Could someone explain me why the below code is printing the contents of IF block 5 times instead of 0? #!/bin/bash VAR1="something" VAR2="something" for((i=0;i<10;i++)) do if(($VAR1=~$VAR2)) then echo VAR1: $VAR1 echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machinogodzilla
3 Replies

5. Web Development

hosting service that allow me to compile and install my own apache

Is there any cheap hosting service that allow me to compile and install my own apache and php ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a job which is writing a big file and eating up space?

how to find a job which is writing a big file and eating up space? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rush2andy
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Hosting Service Recommendation

We've been using Linode for our virtual Linux hosting services for two years now and could not be more impressed. One of our Linode nodes is located in Cedar Knolls, New Jersey which was close to the path of Hurricane Sandy. The data center teams were on top of things from the beginning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Best Linux/UNIX-based website hosting service?

I'm currently on a shared server, with a fairly-well-known hosting provider, which has gotten progressively worse over the years, and it's time to switch to someone else. I know there are LOTS of providers out there whose infrastructure is Linux/UNIX based (actually, I'm not aware of any that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markolinux
2 Replies
REPQUOTA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       REPQUOTA(8)

NAME
repquota -- summarize quotas for a file system SYNOPSIS
repquota [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... repquota [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Repquota prints a summary of the disk usage and quotas for the specified file systems. Available options: -a Print the quotas of all the filesystems configured with a quota mount option file at its root. -g Print only group quotas (the default is to print both group and user quotas if they exist). -u Print only user quotas (the default is to print both group and user quotas if they exist). -v Print a header line before printing each filesystem quotas. For each user or group, the current number of files and amount of space (in kilobytes) is printed, along with any quotas created with edquota(8). Only members of the operator group or the super-user may use this command. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Various messages about inaccessible files; self-explanatory. HISTORY
The repquota command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution March 28, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution