Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting Up A Guestbook
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting Up A Guestbook Post 21151 by akitachi on Sunday 12th of May 2002 08:30:09 AM
Old 05-12-2002
Thanks livin' free Smilie

Your comments are appreciated, but I really must stress that I am a real nivice with unix/ pearl.

According to the error, the file should reside at:
/home/kitachi/www/gbook.html

It does !! (well, I think so !)

When you ftp in, use the "pwd" command to see where you are, then "cd /home/kitachi/www/" and "put gbook.html".

well. it;s at : home/kitachi/www/gbook.html what difference does puttin' "cd in front make, what does "cd mean ??

If you chmod'ed the file to 644, you set it that you have read-write permissions, group and everyone else both have read-only permissions.

well, the readme file says :

4.) Permissions on the guestbook html file are wrong. Try

644 (read/write for owner and group, read for others).

On many servers, cgi scripts may not run as "you". If

this is the case, you must use 666 (read/write for all)

Maybee 666 will work ??!

I'm not sure what 'chmod'ed'm actuallt stands for.. I think it has loats to do with setting permisson though !!

I'm wondering if the problem lie in the permissions on
/cgi-bin/guestbook/bnbbook.cgi ...
Is there a "Readme" file that came with the package?

Yes, it says:

You did not set the permissions on the file properly.

You must "chmod 755" the script. This means the owner

can read/write/execute, and group and others can read

and execute.

Also, I get a bunch of script errors on the index page, and the pop-up displays in too small of a window - there's no resize bars on it either...

do you mean my initial mail pop up mail pop up ??
if so, that's a real drag, because it looks jut fin in both I5 and netscape 6 on my mac but far too smal on a pc (apparently).. that's somthing i've gotta iron out !

Also, be careful if you're going to allow HTML code to be posted by other on your site. The current trend in web-(anti?)security is leading towards more and more cross-site-scripting exploits, and it can do some mean stuff to your visitors.

thanks.. I'll bear that in mind, especially when I become more use to pearl 1

cheers for you time and help... I guess it's time for me to get stuck back into it !!

Much appreciated

Adrian (UK)

PS I was in Orange County last year. It's a REALLY beautiful place and I had a great time there.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New ip setting

I want to change the IPsetting and the broadcast setting. With ipconfig I get this: hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2 inet xx.17x.18x.xx netmask fffffff0 broadcast xx.17x.18x.xx ether yy:0:yy:b6:yy:xx What command(squence) do I use to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuultak
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting cronjobs...

Hi, We have 4 jobs to be run every month on different times - * a daily job runs once in 2 days at 3PM *a weekly runs every thursday at 3PM * a monthly runs last day of month either 30 or 31st at 3PM * 4th job runs on 3rd of every month at 3Pm How can I set the crontab for these 4 jobs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krworks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. AIX

Timezone Setting

Hi On several AIX 5.3 LPARs the timezone is currrently set to: TZ=NZST-12NZDT,M9.5.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 Daylight savings in NZ starts on Sun 28th Sep 2008, which is the fourth Sunday. Do I need to change my TZ variable to NZST-12NZDT,M9.4.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 or will AIX interpret the fifth... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiwiP
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Ulimit Setting

All, Our SA is considering setting the max open files from 2048 to 30K. This sounds like a drastic change. Does anybody have an idea of the negative impacts of increasing the open files too high? Would like to know if this change could negatively impact our system. What test should we run to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcrober
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a Timeout

Hi I'm writing a script which based on a condition, restarts a set of servers. The problem I'm facing is, say if one of the server is down, my script stops there and fails to proceed. How can I ensure to set a timeout value on that script, so when the server is not reachable, the script should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mathbalaji
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab setting

Hi Team, Please help me to set one script in crontab. I have one script and inside script, its creating one log file for saving ouptut of script. i have to out that script in crontab. When i put the script in cronatab, it executed and log file created but no data in log. like this i put in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivshankar
3 Replies
CHMOD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod -- change file modes SYNOPSIS
chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The chmod utility modifies the file mode bits of the listed files as specified by the mode operand. The options are as follows: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed by default.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the modes of the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f Do not display a diagnostic message if chmod could not modify the mode for file. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the mode of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. -v Cause chmod to be verbose, showing filenames as the mode is modified. If the -v flag is specified more than once, the old and new modes of the file will also be printed, in both octal and symbolic notation. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. Only the owner of a file or the super-user is permitted to change the mode of a file. DIAGNOSTICS
The chmod utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. MODES
Modes may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number constructed from the sum of one or more of the following values: 4000 (the set-user-ID-on-execution bit) Executable files with this bit set will run with effective uid set to the uid of the file owner. Directories with the set-user-id bit set will force all files and sub-directories created in them to be owned by the directory owner and not by the uid of the creating process, if the underlying file system supports this feature: see chmod(2) and the suiddir option to mount(8). 2000 (the set-group-ID-on-execution bit) Executable files with this bit set will run with effective gid set to the gid of the file owner. 1000 (the sticky bit) See chmod(2) and sticky(8). 0400 Allow read by owner. 0200 Allow write by owner. 0100 For files, allow execution by owner. For directories, allow the owner to search in the directory. 0040 Allow read by group members. 0020 Allow write by group members. 0010 For files, allow execution by group members. For directories, allow group members to search in the directory. 0004 Allow read by others. 0002 Allow write by others. 0001 For files, allow execution by others. For directories allow others to search in the directory. For example, the absolute mode that permits read, write and execute by the owner, read and execute by group members, read and execute by oth- ers, and no set-uid or set-gid behaviour is 755 (400+200+100+040+010+004+001). The symbolic mode is described by the following grammar: mode ::= clause [, clause ...] clause ::= [who ...] [action ...] action action ::= op [perm ...] who ::= a | u | g | o op ::= + | - | = perm ::= r | s | t | w | x | X | u | g | o The who symbols ``u'', ``g'', and ``o'' specify the user, group, and other parts of the mode bits, respectively. The who symbol ``a'' is equivalent to ``ugo''. The perm symbols represent the portions of the mode bits as follows: r The read bits. s The set-user-ID-on-execution and set-group-ID-on-execution bits. t The sticky bit. w The write bits. x The execute/search bits. X The execute/search bits if the file is a directory or any of the execute/search bits are set in the original (unmodified) mode. Operations with the perm symbol ``X'' are only meaningful in conjunction with the op symbol ``+'', and are ignored in all other cases. u The user permission bits in the original mode of the file. g The group permission bits in the original mode of the file. o The other permission bits in the original mode of the file. The op symbols represent the operation performed, as follows: + If no value is supplied for perm, the ``+'' operation has no effect. If no value is supplied for who, each permission bit specified in perm, for which the corresponding bit in the file mode creation mask is clear, is set. Otherwise, the mode bits represented by the specified who and perm values are set. - If no value is supplied for perm, the ``-'' operation has no effect. If no value is supplied for who, each permission bit specified in perm, for which the corresponding bit in the file mode creation mask is clear, is cleared. Otherwise, the mode bits represented by the specified who and perm values are cleared. = The mode bits specified by the who value are cleared, or, if no who value is specified, the owner, group and other mode bits are cleared. Then, if no value is supplied for who, each permission bit specified in perm, for which the corresponding bit in the file mode creation mask is clear, is set. Otherwise, the mode bits represented by the specified who and perm values are set. Each clause specifies one or more operations to be performed on the mode bits, and each operation is applied to the mode bits in the order specified. Operations upon the other permissions only (specified by the symbol ``o'' by itself), in combination with the perm symbols ``s'' or ``t'', are ignored. EXAMPLES
644 make a file readable by anyone and writable by the owner only. go-w deny write permission to group and others. =rw,+X set the read and write permissions to the usual defaults, but retain any execute permissions that are currently set. +X make a directory or file searchable/executable by everyone if it is already searchable/executable by anyone. 755 u=rwx,go=rx u=rwx,go=u-w make a file readable/executable by everyone and writable by the owner only. go= clear all mode bits for group and others. g=u-w set the group bits equal to the user bits, but clear the group write bit. BUGS
There's no perm option for the naughty bits. COMPATIBILITY
The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chflags(1), install(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), fts(3), setmode(3), symlink(7), chown(8), mount(8), sticky(8) STANDARDS
The chmod utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible with the exception of the perm symbol ``t'' which is not included in that standard. HISTORY
A chmod command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD