Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: securing a remote box
Special Forums Cybersecurity securing a remote box Post 20991 by LivinFree on Wednesday 8th of May 2002 04:41:31 PM
Old 05-08-2002
I don't think I said it before, but I'll say it now! Secure on NFS? Is that an oxymoron?

Seriously, bring the box down. Rebuild. Changing passwords won't help a thing if the attacker was decent, or even used to a good rootkit (that are very very easy to find)... He probably replaced a few of your binaries in order to hide himself from ps, netstat, fuser, etc... There's no way to know. I've even seen a few that will not respond to a port scan, but are "activated" when a specially constructed packet hits it.

Reinstall from read-only media (CDROM works well), and use the backup tapes to only move over the old files. leave the binaries behind.

And if you don't do it because it's a hassle, think about all of the people that are being attacked and spammed from your box. On top of that, since you are aware that you have been compromised, you are 100% liable for every attack / spam from that box.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner: Securing a Unix box

Newbie in the Unix world here....trying to load Solaris 2.8 AGAIN, and trying to secure the box this time. Any suggestions anyone? Any tips? Appreciate your help, gurus! TIA, trigeek8888 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigeek8888
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remote x session to a server box w/no IO

I am trying to connect to a unix server box and start an X session. It has kde and xfree86 installed. However, since it is just a server, sitting somehwere in another state probably on top of and below other servers, it has no mouse,keyboard,or monitor attached to it. When I try to startx, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SnakeO
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue a ping on a remote box

Hi there I am running a script on a central box (boxA) that will send a remote request to boxB to perform a ping test to an ip note: I am not pinging boxB from boxA but sending a request over ssh to get boxB to perform a ping test ! The thing is, I want the script back at boxA to know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pop up dialog box on remote computers

I need to send out messages to over 100 clients in my sector. I want it to pop up a dialog box letting them know to save work and log out. I have the reboot script created just need the warning please. Thanks (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
35 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transferring files Permission issues in remote box

Hi, I have a directory 'data' which is a symbolic link to /var/opt/store/rawdata/appname on a remote box. I am not able to SFTP some files from my local box to this dir. in the remote box. Also I am not able to copy or move the files in the robot id home dir. in remote box to this data dir... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vharsha
2 Replies

6. Linux

Securing remote connections

Hi all, I have a couple of questions I've been searching on internet but I didn't find a suitable solution. The aim is that I'd like to access to my home Linux (an 8.04 Ubuntu) from outside. I already achieved with ssh, but I'd like to secure as much as I can. These are questions: The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
2 Replies

7. Linux

How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box?

Hi, How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box? I don't have login account at my remote Linux box. But I need who are all having login account. How do I findout? Thanks, --Muthu. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuselvan
3 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

securing AIX box

Guys, i want to securing AIX after install by scrath. Is anybody can inform about the standard port which used by AIX? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: michlix
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Establishing remote connection to a Xserver from a UNIX Box

Hello Guys , I have been working on a script where we are looking to connect a remote Xserver from a Unix box. Once a connection is made , i need to run several commands on remote machine to check various stuffs. As per my knowledge on unix (which is like a drop in ocean) , i found SSH as a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notify when the script run(hourly)on my jump-box only when there is a failure on my remote-box

Team, Presently I have a script, which i have set up cron on one of my Jump-boxes,and gives me the output on every hourly basis,fetching the data from the remote machine.Basically it gives me the list of all active users logged and its count once we execute the script.Here the count is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
6 Replies
netstat-nat(1)						      General Commands Manual						    netstat-nat(1)

NAME
netstat-nat - Show the natted connections on a linux iptable firewall SYNOPSIS
netstat-nat [options] DESCRIPTION
netstat-nat Displays NAT connections managed by netfilter/iptables which comes with the > 2.4.x linux kernels. The program reads its information from '/proc/net/ip_conntrack' or '/proc/net/nf_conntrack', which is the temporary conntrack-storage of netfilter. OPTIONS
-h displays help -n don't resolve IPs/portnumbers to host/portnames -p <protocol> display NAT connections with protocol selection (see /etc/protocols) -s <source host> display connections by source IP/hostname -d <destination host> display connections by destination IP/hostname -S display SNAT connections -D display DNAT connections -L display only connections to NAT box self (doesn't show SNAT & DNAT) -R display only connections routed through the NAT box (doesn't show SNAT & DNAT) -x extended view of hostnames -r <src|dst|src-port|dst-port|state> sort connections -o no output header -N display NAT box connection information (only valid with SNAT & DNAT) -v prints version FILES
/proc/net/ip_conntrack or /proc/net/nf_conntrack SEE ALSO
http://www.tweegy.nl/projects/netstat-nat/ http://www.netfilter.org/ AUTHOR
netstat-nat has been written by D.Wijsman danny@tweegy.nl The manual page has been written by marceln@xs4all.nl July 2002 netstat-nat(1)