Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux DNS
Special Forums IP Networking Linux DNS Post 2099 by alwayslearningunix on Thursday 19th of April 2001 09:19:17 AM
Old 04-19-2001
specific....

sorry about the late reply to this, this was something I was doing in my part time. I feel kind of stupid, but hope my mistakes will help others, I have learnt:

If you are managing dns be VERY pedantic about syntax in your zonefiles, make sure you stick closely to what is reagarded as a template zone file - after messing about with backups I had made of the zones which did not work I realised that it was my syntax which was wrong at one or two places, and this was enough for any queries to not work on those zones. My advice is to get the DNS and BIND book from O'Reilly, this helped alot, and also create a .template file in your /named directory (which just has a template for the SOA down to TTL header of zone files) and whenever making new zones, use that to copy from, it is very useful. Finally after making so many changes and losing my trail I decided to put my whole dns zone file editing under SCCS control, this way I can keep an audit trail of what is done, when and why - I have found it very useful indeed. SCCS is good, and simple, for that. man SCCS for info.

Hope this prevents someone having the same grief I had!
alwayslearningunix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Name Server Problem on Linux

I'm very new to all of this, so I apologize in advance if my post comes off incoherent, or terms aren't used correctly :rolleyes: Using Fedora Core 2, I set up am internal DNS name server. After setting up the named.conf, and the localhost files I was able to correctly resolve my host name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skeet23
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

3. Linux

LINUX 9 IPTABLES and DNS

I have installed a linux 9 router/firewall and have issues with outside DNS queries making it in. here are my IPTABLE rules, can anyone make some suggestions? ETH1 is my outside facing Interface, ETH0 is my inside facing interface. Accept If input interface is not eth1 Accept If protocol... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux firewall / dns issue

I have set up a linux (red hat 9) box as my main internet router. I am also running a DNS server on it. What are the rules i have to implement to allow DNS queries through the firewall from outside so that the outside world can see my domains? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Linux Redhat ES 4.0 - DNS Config Issues

Hello all, I've a very strange thing hapenning in my Sys, I've configured the IP, DNS eveything for my internat connection, but Im only able to browse Redhat.com websites. I cant open anyother site!!! :eek: Im sure the internet is configured 'coz it displays the list of avail updates for... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijithS
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

DNS for linux RedHat

Dear members, I am trying to set up a simple DNS but the problem is that when I ping the name of the IP address in the Reverse file, it does not recognise it. My code are as follows: Note that my IP address is 172.22.45.237. In my /etc/named.conf file, I have added the following lines ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakshakshuk
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

Linux DNS issue

Hi , I have configured OEL 5.3 server on VMware server,installation went fine, however when i am checking host using configured /etc/hosts i am getting following error let me know where it went wrong . I had disabled firewall options and SELLinux. root@oen11g ~]# host oen11g.grid.com ;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: autoconfig
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring DNS Server in Linux Redhat

Can someone help with a detail step-by-step oh how to configure DNS server on Linux Server. - I need to have 3 IP addresses map to a single hostname. for clients I'm a Linux rookie. Thanks Oscar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

add the linux host to DNS

I built the new linux server. And i want to add it to DNS. Please help me how to do this !!! thanks in advance ! :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhay1983
6 Replies
audit(1M)																 audit(1M)

NAME
audit - control the behavior of the audit daemon SYNOPSIS
audit -n | -s | -t | -v [path] The audit command is the system administrator's interface to maintaining the audit trail. The audit daemon can be notified to read the con- tents of the audit_control(4) file and re-initialize the current audit directory to the first directory listed in the audit_control file or to open a new audit file in the current audit directory specified in the audit_control file, as last read by the audit daemon. Reading audit_control also causes the minfree and plugin configuration lines to be re-read and reset within auditd. The audit daemon can also be signaled to close the audit trail and disable auditing. -n Notify the audit daemon to close the current audit file and open a new audit file in the current audit directory. -s Notify the audit daemon to read the audit control file. The audit daemon stores the information internally. If the audit daemon is not running but audit has been enabled by means of bsmconv(1M), the audit daemon is started. -t Direct the audit daemon to close the current audit trail file, disable auditing, and die. Use -s to restart auditing. -v path Verify the syntax for the audit control file stored in path. The audit command displays an approval message or outputs specific error messages for each error found. The audit command will exit with 0 upon success and a positive integer upon failure. /etc/security/audit_user /etc/security/audit_control See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ bsmconv(1M), praudit(1M), audit(2), audit_control(4), audit_user(4), attributes(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. The audit command does not modify a process's preselection mask. It functions are limited to the following: o affects which audit directories are used for audit data storage; o specifies the minimum free space setting; o resets the parameters supplied by means of the plugin directive. For the -s option, audit validates the audit_control syntax and displays an error message if a syntax error is found. If a syntax error message is displayed, the audit daemon does not re-read audit_control. Because audit_control is processed at boot time, the -v option is provided to allow syntax checking of an edited copy of audit_control. Using -v, audit exits with 0 if the syntax is correct; otherwise, it returns a positive integer. The -v option can be used in any zone, but the -t, -s, and -n options are valid only in local zones and, then, only if the perzone audit policy is set. See auditd(1M) and auditconfig(1M) for per-zone audit configuration. 25 May 2004 audit(1M)