Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP Post 20924 by jeremiebarber on Tuesday 7th of May 2002 04:54:21 PM
Old 05-07-2002
Question Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP

I know this is a common question, but.... I am working on 2 seperate computers. Each machine has one hdd. I want to Install Redhat with Win2k on one machine, and Redhat with Xp on the other. I know there are some issues with the install sequence to get Grub to work with both, but I am a little confused about which os to install first, and also if I should load Grub into the master boot record, or at the beginning of the partition. I guess I could spend a few days reloading until I get it right, but anyone who can get me straightened out..... Thanks, Jeremie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot windows 2000 and solaris 8

Hello I recently purchased solaris 8 and I want to dual boot with windows 2000. What is the easiest way to install the solaris OS with the existing windows 2000? mogfog (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogfog
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loading windows on a dual boot

I want to dual-boot Windows 98 and Redhat 7. My scheme for doing this is to partition into: A FAT32 partition for windows A Linux partition for root A swap partition A boot partition My question is: At what point do I setup windows on the FAT partition? Would I do it from the command line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furtoes00
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DUAL BOOT redhat linux 7.3 - W2K

Hi, i know a little bit of Unix, but not a whole lot. I have a PC with W2K running on it. I want to install redhat Linux 7.3 as new OS in dual boot. do I need to install a boot manager like system commander or does the linux install detects other OS'es and create a dual boot 4 me (like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxthree
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

XP -- Redhat Dual Boot

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syrex
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows -linux dual boot............

I am trying to implement a dual boot on my laptop ... using a small xp partition and fedora core 269.1-fc2 i686 linux kernel.. so far I have had to log off and reboot to enter the other partition... but this is getting frustrating.. windows is on /dev/hda1 and 1-5 is on the linux partition. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot between UNIX and Windows

I am planning to install UNIX (SunOS) on my computer which has two hard disks C: and D: C drive already have operating system which has windows installed on it and I use it on daily basis. D drive is empty and has like 40GB space, I want to partition D: by half half and want install UNIX on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DataSheet
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows And Unix, Dual Boot

Hello! I must find a way to use unix in my PC. I have a Dell Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz, 1Gb RAM.It came with windows xp but in order to get some software running I have to be able to work on unix! Is it posible to set up a unix and Windows dual boot configuration? I was sure it was posible but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isidora10
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Dual Boot Problem - Vista & Redhat -Incorrect BIOS geometry

Hi Folks, Initially I had vista and redhat 9 .. due to some reasons i had to re instal my vista again.. since then the dual boot menu disappeared.. i tried to re install redhat and changing the boot configuration of redhat 9 but i am not getting both the OS back .. I am not aboe to boot linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhotech
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run linux in windows 7 without dual boot?

tell me in steps if its virtual box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)                     systemd-machine-id-commit.service                    SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)