Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with UNIX Backup/Archiving Post 20825 by killerserv on Monday 6th of May 2002 04:16:22 AM
Old 05-06-2002
Pls check the forum rules, no assignments or homeworks allowed.

https://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/2971-simple-rules-unix-com-forums.html

Im sure you can find those informations on the net (www.googles.com) or in books. Do abid the forum rules.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Unix Backup

I would like to know if I can do a full system back up on my HP Unix Machine. If so, What is the syntax to do this or where can I find this information at? Also, is it possible to make this tape bootable so that I can easily do a full system restore? Any information on this would be appreciated!!!... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apasuper8
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backing up or Archiving files in UNIX

Hi All, I am very new to the UNIX world and find myself in a new position at work that requires me to archive large CADD files based in both UNIX and Windows environments on CD's. I have one engineer that wants to export these files as a table (I guess) and it appears to have a lot of paper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dsartelle
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP Unix Backup question

I am very new to Unix. We have a Unix workstation that is on a tape backup system setup by an external consultant. However, I need to know how to verify that the backup is actually running and backing up actual data. When I checked earlier this week, the log file had listed the folllowing: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsnapp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 10.2 Backup Problem

We have an older HP Unix 10.20 system that we rarely ever use anymore. Most of our jobs on it are from 1994 to 2002. Anything after that is on Windows XP. The Unix system was backed up religiously every day. Because of space constraints some of the jobs were removed from the system after a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozzybear
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup The Files In Unix

hi punters, i have a small requirement,i would need to code some script in AIX. please join me on yahoo anytime hrsuprith@yahoo.co.in hrsuprith@gmail.com (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suprithhr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix 2.1.3 Backup

Hi... I am Using Unix 2.1.3 Os on server My application Is also on this server. other client have Windows Xp system they can access application usnig puttey. I want to take backup on of this severer on any of the client. Can anyone help me on this Thanks ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapz123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a backup of UNIX--Need help

My company has a client that has mostly windows machines but has 1 Unix machine(still trying to find out what version..Solaris, AIX, etc) and they want me to do a full backup of this Unix machine and store it on one of their windows servers. Is there a not too difficult way of doing this? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seanbl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for backup and archiving

Hi, I am trying to develop a KSH script, to perform the following functions: 1. ZIP the previous day backup to ZIP Directory, while removing any ZIP file older than a week. 2. Perform the backup. 3. Send a confirmation mail with subject content of the size of file. Please let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnprince1980
0 Replies
BACKUPLOG(5)							AFS File Reference						      BACKUPLOG(5)

NAME
BackupLog - Traces Backup Server operations DESCRIPTION
The BackupLog file records a trace of Backup Server (buserver process) operations on the local machine and describes any error conditions it encounters. If the BackupLog file does not already exist in the /var/log/openafs directory when the Backup Server starts, the server process creates it and writes initial start-up messages to it. If there is an existing file, the Backup Server renames it to BackupLog.old, overwriting the existing BackupLog.old file if it exists. The file is in ASCII format. Administrators listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file can use the bos getlog command to display its contents. Alternatively, log on to the machine and use a text editor or a file display command such as the UNIX cat command. By default, the mode bits on the BackupLog file grant the required "r" (read) permission to all users. The Backup Server records operations only as it completes them, and so cannot recover from failures by reviewing the file. The log contents are useful for administrative evaluation of process failures and other problems. SEE ALSO
UserList(5), bos_getlog(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUPLOG(5)