Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dumping files to tape
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dumping files to tape Post 20796 by Jonathan on Saturday 4th of May 2002 06:52:27 AM
Old 05-04-2002
Thanks for your help...

got it working at last!!!

Jonathan.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dumping multiple Folders

How would i go about dumping my /home/ directory and my /root directory i currently have..... dump -f /root/backup.dp /home/ /root/ ...but dump only seems to see only my first source directory and not the second (/root in this case) anyone know a way around this..or if it is even... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freakytah
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumping data and compressing

I have a utility provided by our vendor to dump data from their system. It is expsysdb -s prod proddata.dmp "-s" and "prod" are parameters and "proddata.dmp" is the file name that the data is dumped to (this can be any name). Our current system (AIX 4.3) has a file size limit set to 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumping to tape from /tmp

I'm trying to dump files to tape and im just wondering can i dump from /tmp swap partition? ufsdump 0ubf 126 /dev/rmt/1 swap/tmp/blah.tar DUMP: Cannot open dump device `swap/tmp/blah.tar': No such file or directory ufsdump 0ubf 126 /dev/rmt/1 /tmp/NotificationServer_1.bku DUMP:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping network packets

Hi, My Solaris Workstation has got 4 NICS, out of which one of them(bge3) is unplugged from the rest of the external network & connected to other interface(bge1). The isolated NIC serves as a simulated Ethernet Interface for my application under development. Now, I'd like to capture RAW... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

5. Programming

strcat() dumping core

strcat dumping core in the situation like main() { char* item; char* p=sat_item; char type; item=(char*) malloc(strlen(p)); strncpy(type,p,4); type='\0'; strcat(item,type); //dumping core } I couldn't get why strcat dumping core? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Core Dumping?

How to now if the server is core dumping into the same filesystem? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

dumping traffic of a singel application

I would like to know if there is a way to dump the network traffic of a single application. I tried with tcpdump but I couldn't find a way. Is there a patch, which enables that or does someone know an other application to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smf15
2 Replies

8. Solaris

files in tape

unix1{owadmin}% tar tvf /dev/rmt/1 -rw-rw-rw- 1021/10 0 Sep 11 17:54 2011 TinahPF_Far_32bit.segy tar: directory checksum error unix1{owadmin}% i know in this tape 3 files not only one file so what can i do to view 3 files and what is this error mean ( tar: directory checksum error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dumping mysql through ssh tunnel

Hello wise scripters This is my first post and I am glad to join this community. I am trying to make work a mysqldump via ssh tunnel in a shell script. The problem is that running this sequence of commands manually works fine, but when I put these in a bash script they give me the following... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Solidus
8 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)