Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script - changing passwords Post 20758 by thehoghunter on Friday 3rd of May 2002 10:11:44 AM
Old 05-03-2002
Hugo,

I don't have expect loaded on any system but since Perl was there...thanks thou.

Perderabo,

/etc/oshadow is a link to /etc/shadow on Solaris. If you do a checksum against both you will see it.
The password lock is done with /etc/.pwd.lock - thanks for the tip, I'll look into what I need to change.
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwords changing

Hello everyone let me start off by saying happy new year to all I am new to this board. I am running a multipurpose server (web/ftp/email) it runs apache 1.3.20 i think it is and Qmail would I would like to do is find/create a script that will allow my users to change there unix password... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: viperws
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Users Passwords Via Script?

I am the administrator for a large network of HP/UX servers, about 100, this will be growing to over 200 in the next 18 months, part of my duties are to change the root passwords on these machines once month... which is a pain. I have written a script that will generate random passwords for me and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PJolliffe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing passwords remotely on sun boxes

now, for reasons i really cant begin to delve into, i have to find a way to be able to rmeotely create user accounts and also assign them passwords. unfortunately, it appears Sun boxes frowns upon this. sun boxes will let u create a user account remotely but will never let u assign the useraccount... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring the changing of passwords

What is the best way to monitor who changes passwords, or what passwords get changed? Is there a way to send that over to Syslog? An example would be someone logs in as themselves, changes to root (which I capture by loging auth and auth.info) and then changes a password. Do I need to put an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AW12
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing from command line to perl script

I had posted previously about this problem I had. I have multiple text files with hundreds of lines of the following type: 2000001 34 54 234 2000001 32 545 2000001 -2000001 77 2000001 44 2000001 998 2000001 77 32 2000001 45 23 111 89 98 75 23 34 999 . . . etc... What I wanted was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xchen89x
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for changing passwords

Hello, We are running aix 5.3. We're looking for a script that can change passwords, taking 2 arguments ( old password, new password ). I am wondering if this can be done with a here document, or some generic scripting method. Or, if I would have to download expect. Alternatively I wonder... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwellers
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Changing Passwords with a script.

We are real strict when it comes to passwords. Every 60 days the admins have to change passwords on all of the accounts. And there is pretty strict enforcement of the type of passwords chosen. This is a tedious and monotonous job. Ww don't use NIS or LDAP, so this has to be done on each machine. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl :Changing script to only find the group

Hi scripting guru's I found this script on IBM's website and it seems to be really good only thing it gives off more info than i need. I was wondering if someone could help me modify it to only find a group instead of every user. (group is support) I believe i know how to add the line so it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies
lckpwdf(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					       lckpwdf(3C)

NAME
lckpwdf, ulckpwdf - manipulate shadow password database lock file SYNOPSIS
#include <shadow.h> int lckpwdf(void); int ulckpwdf(void); DESCRIPTION
The lckpwdf() and ulckpwdf() functions enable modification access to the password databases through the lock file. A process first uses lckpwdf() to lock the lock file, thereby gaining exclusive rights to modify the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow password database. See passwd(4) and shadow(4). Upon completing modifications, a process should release the lock on the lock file using ulckpwdf(). This mechanism prevents simultaneous modification of the password databases. The lock file, /etc/.pwd.lock, is used to coordinate modification access to the password databases /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. RETURN VALUES
If lckpwdf() is successful in locking the file within 15 seconds, it returns 0. If unsuccessful (for example, /etc/.pwd.lock is already locked), it returns -1. If ulckpwdf() is successful in unlocking the file /etc/.pwd.lock, it returns 0. If unsuccessful (for example, /etc/.pwd.lock is already unlocked), it returns -1. USAGE
These routines are for internal use only; compatibility is not guaranteed. FILES
/etc/passwd password database /etc/shadow shadow password database /etc/.pwd.lock lock file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getpwnam(3C), getspnam(3C), passwd(4), shadow(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 29 Dec 1996 lckpwdf(3C)