Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count links in all of my web pages Post 20700 by phillip on Thursday 2nd of May 2002 10:51:39 AM
Old 05-02-2002
Count links in all of my web pages

Counts the number of hyperlinks in all web pages in the current directory and all of its sub-directories. Count in all files of type "*htm" and "*html" .
i want the output to look something like this:
Total number of web pages: (number)
Total number of links: (number)
Average number of links per page: (number, to the nearest integer)

thanx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic web pages for Unix Web Server

Hi, my company is considering a new development of our web site, which used to run on Apachi over Solaris. The company who is going to do this for us knows only about developing it in ASP. I guess this means we'll have to have another ISS server on NT for these dynamic pages :( What are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting information from several web pages...

Hi All! Is this possible? I know of several hundreds of urls linking to similar looking hp-ux man pages, like these. In these urls only the last words separated by / are changing in numbering, so we can generate these... http://docs.hp.com/hpux/onlinedocs/B3921-90010/00/00/31-con.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Browse Web pages through command line

Is there any way to browse web pages while on the command line? I know wget can download pages, but I was wondering if there was an option other than that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vroomlicious
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Investigating web pages in awk

hello. i want to make an awk script to search an html file and output all the links (e.g .html, .htm, .jpg, .doc, .pdf, etc..) inside it. also, i want the links that will be output to be split into 3 groups (separated by an empty line), the first group with links to other webpages (.html .htm etc),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adpe
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

curl command with web pages

I can't quite seem to understand what the curl command does with a web address. I tried this: curl O'Reilly Media: Tech Books, Conferences, Courses, News but I just got the first few lines of a web page, and it's nowhere on my machine. Can someone elaborate? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forcing web pages to anti-aliase

Here is an observation that has started to riddle me and perhaps someone can enlighten me. When a web page (or desktop page for that matter) uses the standard font, it is not anti-aliased, unless the user opts in to do so via the desktop settings. It appears however that fonts are not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Web Pages?

Hey guys, Unfortunatley, I can not use wget on our systems.... I am looking for another way for a UNIX script to test web pages and let me know if they are up or down for some of our application. Has anyone saw this before? Thanks, Ryan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwcolb90
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get web pages and compare

Hello, I'm writing a shell script to wget content web pages from multiple server into a variable and compare if they match return 0 or return 2 #!/bin/bash # Cluster 1 CLUSTER1_SERVERS="srv1 srv2 srv3 srv4" CLUSTER1_APPLIS="test/version.html test2.version.jsp" # Liste des... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtam
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get web pages and compare

Hello I'm writing a script to get content of web pages on different machines and compare them using their md5 hash hear is my code #!/bin/bash # Cluster 1 CLUSTER1_SERVERS="srv01:7051 srv02:7052 srv03:7053 srv04:7054" CLUSTER1_APPLIS="test/version.html test2/version.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtam
2 Replies
ln(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ln(1)

Name
       ln - link to a file

Syntax
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name1 [name2]
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name ... directory

Description
       A  link is a directory entry referring to a file.  A file, together with its size and all its protection information may have several links
       to it.  There are two kinds of links: hard links and symbolic links.

By default makes hard links.  A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry.  Any  changes  to  a  file  are
       effective independent of the name used to reference the file.  Hard links may not span file systems and may not refer to directories.

Given  one or two arguments, creates a link to an existing file name1.  If name2 is given, the link has that name.  The name2 may also be a
       directory in which to place the link.  Otherwise it is placed in the current directory.	If only the directory is specified,  the  link	is
       made to the last component of name1.

Given  more  than two arguments, makes links to all the named files in the named directory.  The links made have the same name as the files
       being linked to.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before linking without prompting for confirmation.

-i   Write a prompt to standard output requesting information for each link that would overwrite an existing file.  If  the  response  from
	    standard input is affirmative, and if permissions allow, the link is done. The -i option has this effect even if the standard input is
	    not a terminal.

-s   Creates a symbolic link.

A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked.  The referenced file is used when an operation  is  performed	on
	    the  link.	 A  on a symbolic link returns the linked-to file.  An must be done to obtain information about the link.  The call may be
	    used to read the contents of a symbolic link.  Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories.

See Also
       cp(1), mv(1), rm(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2)

ln(1)