Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash vs Python
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash vs Python Post 20689 by BISH on Thursday 2nd of May 2002 08:09:01 AM
Old 05-02-2002
Not a homework Question

This question actually isnt a homework Question. But can anybody shed any light on the matter.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

python vs bash - verbose mode

hey all! i'm looking how to render verbose python scripts. what i'm looking for would be an equivalent to a "bash -xf" in bash script headers.. Any help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
2 Replies

2. Programming

Python: bash-shell-like less functionality in the python shell

Hello, Is there some type of functional way to read things in the Python shell interpreter similar to less or more in the bash (and other) command line shells? Example: >>> import subprocess >>> help(subprocess) ... ... I'm hoping so as I hate scrolling and love how less works with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python call to bash script returns empty string

Hi all, I need help figuring out why my script won't work when envoked from web interface. First off, I'm fairly new to Linux and Shell scripting so, my apologies for being ignorant! So I have a python script that I envoke through a web interface. This script envokes my shell script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arod291
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Unable to call a python script from bash

Hi, I am trying to run a python script embedded in bash script. But is throwing me an error. Please help. Script: #!/bin/bash nohup /usr/bin/python /opt/web/http.py & Error: /usr/bin/python: can't open file '/opt/web/http.py': No such file or directory Please help me on this. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddy26615
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with python slicing on multiple data files

I have 2 files generated in linux that has common output and were produced across multiple hosts with the same setup/configs. These files do some simple reporting on resource allocation and user sessions. So, essentially, say, 10 hosts, with the same (2) system reporting in the files, so a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdubbz
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display-performance in terminal, bash or python?

Heyas I've been working on my project TUI (Text User Interface) for quite some time now, its a hobby project, so nothing i sit in front of 8hrs/day. Since the only 'real' programming language i knw is Visual Basic, based upon early steps with MS-Batch files. When i 'joined' linux 3 years ago,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner here, how to call a bash-script from python properly?

Hi everyone, i have the following script.sh: foo='lsusb | grep Webcam | cut -c16-18' sudo /home/user/public/usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/$foo when i try to call this script from python using subprocess.call("script.sh", shell=True) it seems that only 'sudo /home/user/public/usbreset' is being... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilfemir
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use scl enable python command call with in bash shell script?

I have a bash shell script, within it i am using the below two commands . its failing right on scl enable command itself. if i run it by itself without a shell, it works fine. by default it is using pythin version 2.6 something. i want to use 3.4 version for that reason with in the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enable rh-python34 from bash shell script, default python is 2.6 version.?

On our server default python version is 2.6, how to enable rh-python34 via bash shell. Thanks a lot for the helpful info. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass bash variable to python

How can I pass bash Variable to python script. bash.sh while read -r db do Printf "%s\n" ${db} "Found" done < path/to/file.txt file.txt db1 db2 db3 python.py print(${db}_tables.replicate.fix) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lpoolfc
2 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)