Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to write shell prog
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to write shell prog Post 20619 by auswipe on Tuesday 30th of April 2002 12:07:47 PM
Old 04-30-2002
Quote:
Originally posted by killerserv
Acknowledged Kelam. Never knew it would content a Homework quesition.
Actually, I thought you replied to a homework question with an answer that no first year CS student would be able to explain to an instructor. I thought it was quite a subtle response...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script prog help

How to write a program to store the list of ordinary files and the directory files in the specified directory in two files called dir.dat and ord.dat. Then print the largest directory and largest file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

2. Programming

how to write a prog to check a no falls in febonacii series or not

hi, how to write a prog to check a no falls in febonacii series or not (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call java prog from shell script

I have a java program to validate a XML file. I want to call this java program in a shell script which will be registered as concurrent program in oracle apps. Can anyone please let me know the step by step appraoch required to call java program in shell script like ....intial steps... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kcp_pavan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Write Shell Script based off of this shell command

I'm trying to read a bunch of log files and output the lines that contain particular strings. To accomplish this, I've been running the following from the command line: find . -name "*" | xargs grep " " | grep " " > output.txt Two grep statements are needed in case I'm looking for a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write the shell using c

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I fork a child process and make it run in background. I hope when this process exits, my shell can print a line such as "this process exits". Does anyone know how to implement it? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell prog for double words

I need a shell programing script for "double words" Available Data: This is a shell script that is used to find the ten character words in the machine local dictionary (/usr/dict/words) that are made up with two valid english words that are five character long. This means that each of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujithcrazy
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues while trying to run a shell script using the command sh <filename.prog>

Hi, I'm facing issues while trying to run a sample program on Linux. If I try to run the script using the command "sh <filename.prog>", it doesn't work. But, if I try to execute it using the command "ksh <filename.prog>", it works fine. Even ". ./filename.prog" works fine. Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh17
6 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)