Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help.. I am in way over my head !!!! Post 20418 by merlin on Friday 26th of April 2002 12:40:43 AM
Old 04-26-2002
Think I might be able to help you out with issue 3, the slowing down of the network.

Firstly if you can do this, unplug the connection and plug it back in. Then it'll tell you what connection type it is connected at. 10/100mb's etc.

Just say you want to force the port 'qfe1' 'qfe2' to 100MHz Full Duplex. Add the following near the end of the '/etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc' after the '&' it's near '/usr/sbin/route add default xxx.xxx.x.xxx 1'' (Well that's what is in my file)

ndd -set /dev/qfe instance 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100fdx_cap 1
ndd -set /dev/qfe instance 1
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_autoneg_cap 0
ndd -set /dev/qfe adv_100fdx_cap 0

That will change the 2 ports qfe 0 & 1 to 100 Full Duplex. After the '_cap' the 0 or teh 1 you can change them around that will slow the network down or speed it up depending what way you change it. All this is done from a console window. the 'qfe' is a example, if you have 'hme' or 'le' or whatever change it to that for it to work.

If you have more ports just add another instance, you can take it to as many instances you want, providing you have the ports there. Say you have 8 ports (2 quad fast cards) you can force them all to whatever.

The only thing that changes is the port names. I.E;
ndd -set /dev/qfe
ndd -set /dev/hme
ndd -set /dev/le
etc etc

Well that's how I change the port speed. It man seem hard or maybe it is teh hard way of doing it but that's my way of doing it. Worked everytime for me when done correctly.
merlin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

head usage

$ct=1 head -n $ct file. When i used like this, i got an error , Bad usage of head Cant we use variables in place of number in HEAD. In my requirement for every iteration i should increase the number in Head and tail the last one. HOw can i achieve this (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search HEAD of CVS

Im looking for a 'relatively' easy way to search through cvs to look for a particular string in the HEAD revisions. I realize the way CVS stores versions makes this difficult. But I'm trying to come up with some script to allow this search (performance is not expected here). Currently this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheowl2
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative for head command

Hi friends,I am new to unix and this is really a dummy question.but please help me out. How to simulate head command without using head command??? also tail command too,also more command. it is given as a homework to do....please tell me how to do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head followed by variable??

I know that the common use of head is for example head -3 etc.Is there any possibility that,if i have a variable that equals to an integer(i=5),i can write head -i?? If not,what syntax or commands should i write down in order to have the same result? //maybe something lik head -"$variable" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command with more than one file

Hi, I have the following problem. I have files with one column of data (let's say file1.dat, file2.dat...file6.dat), and I would like to record the first value of the column of each file into another file (let's name it fileall.dat), which would have the the six values, one in each column. I use to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Head Tail Problem

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: view the 7th line of the program xxx.sh 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: head command tail... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbell221
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help using head cmd, print 20 then the next 20 etc

Hi all, I have a list of text, single column and I want to print the first 20, then the second 20 and so on. I was pointed to xarg to help with this, but can't get my head around how to use it. Would be great if it would put them into separate files with a certain name. Any suggestions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onfirealot
2 Replies
GPR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    GPR(1)

NAME
gpr - a graphical frontend for lpr. SYNOPSIS
gpr [-h] [--help] [-P <printer>] [-J <job name>] [-r] [-n] [-p <flag>] [filename]... DESCRIPTION
gpr is a graphical interface to lpr that provides for easy configuration of printer-specific options. gpr interfaces with a PostScript printer's PPD file to create a user-interface of configurable options. Based upon user choice, the device-specific option code is then inserted into the PostScript job and sent to the printer. This can be used to tell the printer to duplex or staple the print job, or tell it what paper tray to draw paper from. NOTE: gpr will detect if the file to be print is postscript, and, if not, it will call a2ps to pre- process it before sending it to ppdfilt and to lpr. OPTIONS
gpr accepts the following options: -h, --help Show summary of options. -P Specify a destination printer -d Enable debugging output -J lpr option: Job name to print on burst page -r lpr option: Remove the files upon completion of spooling -n gpr option: Print the command line rather than executing the command -p gpr option: Use ppdfilt: 0 = Never, 1 = Always, 2 = with non-default PPD OTHER INFO
The webpage for the GNULpr suite is at http://lpr.sf.org. SEE ALSO
lpr(1), GPR(1)