Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search for strings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search for strings Post 20408 by apalex on Thursday 25th of April 2002 04:44:16 PM
Old 04-25-2002
try:

sed '/ACTIVE/s//2002/' mydata.txt > yourdata.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can and How to mark search strings within VI?

Hi all, When in 'less' or '-' or whatever your alias is, if you search for a string, you get all of it's occurences highlighted. Is there any option I can set in VI, .exrc or whtever, to have the same behaviour in VI? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sierra_aar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between strings with an OR

Hi have Input in this way KEY AAAA BBBB END1 KEY AAAA BBBB END2 KEY AAAA BBBB END3 I need to find any thing matching in between KEY And ending with "END1|END2|END3" This didnot work awk '/KEY/,/END1|END2|END3/' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search a logfile for strings

Hi experts.. I am trying to write a shell script which will scan a log file for three strings ie success image1, success image2, success image3. My shell is tcsh If all the 3 strings are found then insert the 3 strings to a file1 and send mail to developers with file1 If all 3 are note... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to search with 2 strings.

Hi, i have a file a.txt like -------------------------------- col1|col2|col3 data1|data2|data3 other1|other2|other3 -------------------------------- i need to search 2 strings(data in a.txt file is case sesnsitive), suppose data1 and data2. If these 2 strings found then only i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamkp
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I search for 2 strings (AND operator) ?

I have a need to search for files containing 2 strings as in (AND operator). No one at my site seems to know if it is possible. There is only documentation for the "or' operator. I know I can do a search, copy all the matched files into a temp directory & do the second search in the temp... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commang to search two strings in vi

Hi All, Could you help me to get the command to search two different strings in a file using vi as editor. I know that we use /StringToSearch for searching a string, but i want a command to search two strings. Eg. In FileOne i want to search the occurence of StringOne or StringTwo at a time.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between 2 strings

Guys any pointers on how to search between 2 sets date strings with time in the below file example :- 02-Feb-2010 23:12:09 GMT event_type::event_details_are_like_this 02-Feb-2010 09:10:29 GMT event_type::event_details_are_like_this 03-Feb-2010 11:12:19 GMT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search between two search strings and print the value

Based on the forums i have tried with grep command but i am unable to get the required output. search this value /*------ If that is found then search for temp_vul and print and also search until /*------- and print new_vul Input file contains: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search and count strings?

Hi, Is there a command to do a sensitive/in-sensitive search for a string on a line and print how many times that string appears? For example, if I have a line of text below: dog cat rat apple banana dog lion tiger dog Is there a command to search for dog that will print out 3 as a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to search strings every 15 minutes

I have written a script which will search logfiles directory particular two strings and send a message to user to kill the process id if string found every 15 minutes Note::dont have cron tab access(Auto run every 15 minute) oS--AIX Please add script search the PID into logfile "My PID is:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri1999
5 Replies
BBE(1)																	    BBE(1)

NAME
bbe - binary block editor SYNOPSIS
bbe [options]... DESCRIPTION
bbe is a sed-like editor for binary files. It performs binary transformations on the blocks of input stream. OPTIONS
bbe accepts the following options: -b, --block=BLOCK Block definition. -e, --expression=COMMAND Add the COMMAND to the commands to be executed. -f, --file=script-file Add the contest of script-file to commands. -o, --output=name Write output to name instead of standard output. -s, --suppress Suppress normal output, print only block contents. -?, --help List all available options and their meanings. -V, --version Show version of program. BLOCK can be defined as: N:M Where N'th byte starts a M bytes long block (first byte is 0). :M Block length in input stream is M. /start/:M String start starts M bytes long block. /start/:/stop/ String start starts the block and block ends to string stop. /start/: String start starts the block and block will end at next occurence of start. Only the first start is included to the block. :/stop/ Block starts at the beginning of input stream (or at the end of previous block) and ends at the next occurrence of stop. String stop will be included to the block. Special value '$' of M means the end of stream. Default value for block is 0:$, meaning the whole input stream. Both start and stop strings are included to block. Nonprintable characters can be escaped as nn decimal xnn hexadecimal nnn octal Character '' can be escaped as '\'. Escape codes 'a','',' ',' ','v','f',' ' and ';' can also be used. Length (N and M) can be defined as decimal (n), hexadecimal (xn) or octal (0n) value. COMMAND SYNOPSIS
bbe has two type of commands: block and byte commands, both are allways related to current block. That means that the input stream outside of block remains untouched. Block commands D [n] Delete the n'th block. Without n, all found blocks are deleted from the output stream. I string Insert the string string before the block. A string Append the string string at the end of block. J n Skip n blocks before executing commands after this command. L n Leave all blocks unmodified starting from block number n. Affects only commands after this command. N Before printing a block, the file name in which the block starts is printed. F f Before printing a block, the input stream offset at the begining of the block is printed. f can be H, D or O for Hexadecimal, Deci- mal or Octal format of offset. B f Before printing a block, the block number is printed (first block == 1) f can be H, D or O for Hexadecimal, Decimal or Octal format of block number. > file Before printing a block, the contents of file file is printed. < file After printing a block, the contents of file file is printed. Byte commands n in byte commands is offset from the beginning of current block (starts from zero). r n string Replace bytes starting at position n with string string. i n string Insert string starting at position n. p format The contents of block is printed in format defined by format. format can have any of the formats H, D, O, A and B for Hexadecimal, Decimal, Octal, Asciii and Binary. s/search/replace/ Replace all occurrences of search with replace. y/source/dest/ Translate bytes in source to the corresponding bytes in dest. Source and dest must have equal length. d n m|* Delete m bytes starting from the offset n. If * is defined instead of m, then all bytes starting from n are deleted. c from to Convert bytes from format from to to. Currently supported formats are: BCD Binary coded decimal ASC Ascii j n Commands after the j-command are ignored for first n bytes of the block. l n Commands after the l-command are ignored from n'th byte of the block. w file Write bytes from the current block to file file. Commands before w-command have effect to what will be written. %B or %nB in file will be replaced by current block number. n in %nB is field length, leading zero in n causes the block number to be left padded with zeroes. & c Performs binary and with c. | c Performs binary or with c. ^ c Performs binary xor with c. ~ Performs binary negation. u n c All bytes from start of the block to offset n are replaced by c. f n c All bytes starting from offset n to end of the block are replaced by c. x Exchange the contents of nibbles (half an octet) of bytes. Nonvisible characters in strings can be escaped same way as in block definition strings. Character '/' in s and y commands can be any visi- ble character. Note that the D, A, I, F, B, c, s, i, y, p, <, > and d commands cause the length of input and output streams to be different. EXAMPLES
bbe -e "s/c:\temp\data1.txt/c:\temp\data2.txt/" file1 all occurences of "c: empdata1.txt" in file file1 are changed to "c: empdata2.txt" bbe -b 0420:16 -e "r 4 x12x4a" file1 Two bytes starting at fifth byte of a 16 byte long block starting at offset 0420 (octal) in file1 are changed to hexadecimal values 12 and 4a. bbe -b :16 -e "A x0a" file1 Newline is added after every block, block length is 16. SEE ALSO
sed(1). AUTHOR
Timo Savinen <tjsa@iki.fi> 2006-11-02 BBE(1)