Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: motd for different users
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users motd for different users Post 20401 by PxT on Thursday 25th of April 2002 03:55:47 PM
Old 04-25-2002
I do not think there is a way to do it with the standard MOTD. You would have to write a custom script to handle it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MOTD File?

Anyone know how to change the location of the MOTD file from the default /etc/motd? An annoying person with root access has found out how to edit the file and change my MOTDs. Help me. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex00me
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux help on X and motd

Hie guys im new to Unix. Need some advise or favour perhaps. Iam running Red hat Linux 7.2 and as soon as i install with GUI and so done, i reboot the system. After i reboot it directly went to the GUI login. I able to login and do my stuffs. My question is how to hold the system not to directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ###1tomato
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic MOTD

Hello all, I'm looking for a way to have motd display something different when users log in based on what groups they belong to. I'm network administratinng at a college and professors would like to have different posts come up to students when they log in based on the different classes they are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoppese
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

7. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

8. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default motd for different OS

Hello, which is the default motd for the different following different OS versions? RHEL: has no default motd? HP-UX: no motd but cat /etc/copyright in /etc/profile: (c)Copyright 1983-2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. (c)Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985-1993 The Regents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
2 Replies

10. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

/etc/motd - queries

If I have /etc/motd, he is file or directory? I saw that some call them folders and files others... Which option is better? I knew that being a director, but many told me not. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mescu
1 Replies
FAILLOG(8)						    System Management Commands							FAILLOG(8)

NAME
faillog - display faillog records or set login failure limits SYNOPSIS
faillog [options] DESCRIPTION
faillog displays the contents of the failure log database (/var/log/faillog). It can also set the failure counters and limits. When faillog is run without arguments, it only displays the faillog records of the users who had a login failure. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the faillog command are: -a, --all Display (or act on) faillog records for all users having an entry in the faillog database. The range of users can be restricted with the -u option. In display mode, this is still restricted to existing users but forces the display of the faillog entries even if they are empty. With the -l, -m, -r, -t options, the users' records are changed, even if the user does not exist on the system. This is useful to reset records of users that have been deleted or to set a policy in advance for a range of users. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -l, --lock-secs SEC Lock account for SEC seconds after failed login. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -m, --maximum MAX Set the maximum number of login failures after the account is disabled to MAX. Selecting a MAX value of 0 has the effect of not placing a limit on the number of failed logins. The maximum failure count should always be 0 for root to prevent a denial of services attack against the system. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -r, --reset Reset the counters of login failures. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -t, --time DAYS Display faillog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN|RANGE Display faillog record or maintains failure counters and limits (if used with -l, -m or -r options) only for the specified user(s). The users can be specified by a login name, a numerical user ID, or a RANGE of users. This RANGE of users can be specified with a min and max values (UID_MIN-UID_MAX), a max value (-UID_MAX), or a min value (UID_MIN-). When none of the -l, -m, or -r options are used, faillog displays the faillog record of the specified user(s). CAVEATS
faillog only prints out users with no successful login since the last failure. To print out a user who has had a successful login since their last failure, you must explicitly request the user with the -u flag, or print out all users with the -a flag. FILES
/var/log/faillog Failure logging file. SEE ALSO
login(1), faillog(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 FAILLOG(8)