Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editors for UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Editors for UNIX Post 20393 by Neo on Thursday 25th of April 2002 01:17:28 PM
Old 04-25-2002
I can't make this recommendation strong enough so I'll simply type it in two bold capital letters:

VI

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

editors?

Just started out with C and are looking for a good editor in *nix that marks the code with colors. This is maybe a newbie thing to have the C code in colors but i like it and you can almost always se when you are typing wrong. :) Ive heard that emacs should have that option but i havent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hexdoctor
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail utilities and editors.

I was wondering what other mail utilities besides 'mutt, unix mail, PINE and elm' are available for unix. Also, what other editors are around besides 'VI, pico, vim and emacs'... I've been searching the net looking for some answers, but nothing much has come up.. thanx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shonnie
1 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

GUI Text Editors in WinXP -- what's their problem?

jEdit, Total Edit, EDXOR, all have one thing in common -- whatever they save in what they call "Unix" encoding and line endings inevitably shows up in a CLI text editor like pico or vim having garbage characters somewhere close to the beginning or, though this is more rare, somewhere in the body of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

opinions on video editors

What is everyones opinions on these video editors? PiTiVi Avidemux Cinelerra Kdenlive Kino Linux Video Editing: Top Five Linux Video Editors (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics about shell and editors and default settings

Hi all, I have 3-4 years of experience working on unix environment. I am not a beginner, but unix is not my primary skill set. I am very good at awk programming and doing many of my tasks very well, really very weak on basics. I moved to a new job recently and the settings there are driving me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
5 Replies
MAN(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    MAN(7)

NAME
man - macros to typeset manual SYNOPSIS
nroff -man file ... troff -man file ... DESCRIPTION
These macros are used to lay out pages of this manual. A skeleton page may be found in the file /usr/man/man0/xx. Any text argument t may be zero to six words. Quotes may be used to include blanks in a `word'. If text is empty, the special treatment is applied to the next input line with text to be printed. In this way .I may be used to italicize a whole line, or .SM followed by .B to make small bold letters. A prevailing indent distance is remembered between successive indented paragraphs, and is reset to default value upon reaching a non- indented paragraph. Default units for indents i are ens. Type font and size are reset to default values before each paragraph, and after processing font and size setting macros. These strings are predefined by -man: *R `(Reg)', trademark symbol in troff. *S Change to default type size. FILES
/usr/lib/tmac/tmac.an /usr/man/man0/xx SEE ALSO
troff(1), man(1) BUGS
Relative indents don't nest. REQUESTS
Request Cause If no Explanation Break Argument t no t=n.t.l.*Text t is bold. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating bold and italic. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternat- ing bold and Roman. i. Begin paragraph with hanging indent. t no t=n.t.l. Text t is italic. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating italic and bold. x x. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating italic and Roman. d. Set prevailing indent to .5i. Set prevailing indent to amount of starting .RS. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating Roman and bold. t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating Roman and italic. move left margin in distance i. Set prevailing indent to .5i for nested indents. t yes t=n.t.l. Subhead. t no t=n.t.l. Text t is small. n(c) named n(c) n of chapter c; x is extra commentary, e.g. `local', for page foot. Set prevailing indent and tabs to .5i. i. Begin indented paragraph with hanging tag given by next text line. If tag doesn't fit, place it on separate line. * n.t.l. = next text line; p.i. = prevailing indent page x yes - Begin n(c)