Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backspace Not Working in Script Post 20379 by Atama on Thursday 25th of April 2002 10:05:59 AM
Old 04-25-2002
No, that doesn't change it. The problem only occurs within a the Perl script. At leas that's the only time I've seen it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backspace Key From Within Script

I have a script that asks a user for a few question. I would like the users to be able to use the backspace key if they make a mistake. Right now when they try they get ^? instead of it backing up. As you can see here from a stty -a the backspace is set... speed 38400 baud; rows = 42;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Using backspace in solaris - help

Hi In solaris if i have to delete something from shell i need to use ctrl+H, coz if i use backspace it shows ^?. Can any one please tell me how to set backspace key so that i can delete any character directly instead of using Ctrl+h. Second Q is like in linux for going to recent command, i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to test for backspace

Hi all, I am using a script which is as follows: It reads a character. I want to check if the character is a backspace character or some other character. read -n 1 x if ; then echo "backspace detected" else echo "some other character" fi Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

backspace in vi search

Hi gurus, i use vi editor. when I want search something I Type / (or ? if i want search backward), that is OK. But when i make mistake in searching string how can i delete character ? I tried bacskpase but did not work (gives just strange characters). Also tried shift+bacskspace but this only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script backspace not working for Unicode characters

Hello, My Perl script reads input from stdin and prints it out to stdout. After I read input I use BACKSPACE to erase characters. However BACKSPACE does not work with Unicode characters that are multi-bytes. On screen the character is erased but underneath only one byte is deleted instead of all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdw
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stty erase ^h not working for backspace

Hi , I have to press shift + Backspace to do backspace on my unix termminal everytime. How can i configure it to a normal backspace only. Please help me here. PFB the contents of the stty -a : dbtgr@hpxi017:/pocuser/C5/aimsys/dbtgr> stty -a speed 38400 baud; line = 0; rows = 35; columns =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
4 Replies

7. Solaris

[SOLVED] Backspace not working!!!!!

Hi friends, Hope u r doing well. It is a very strange problem that I've never faced when I used linux or freebsd. When a type a command in Solaris 10, and if I make a mistake, the backspace doesn't work, when I press the backspace key three times forexample, this is what I get, ^H ^H ^H. The same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script is not working from cron while working manually

Hello, I am facing a very strange problem when I run my script manuallu ./Fetchcode which is using to connect with MKS integrity from linux end it workks fine but when I run it from cron it doesn't work.Can someone help me 1) How could I check my script when it is running from cron like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not working in cron but working fine manually

Help. My script is working fine when executed manually but the cron seems not to catch up the command when registered. The script is as follow: #!/bin/sh for file in file_1.txt file_2.txt file_3.txt do awk '{ print "0" }' $file > tmp.tmp mv tmp.tmp $file done And the cron... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo backspace in spinner script

Trying to insert a backspace for echo. while true ; do i='-\|/' for j in 1 2 3 4 do echo -ne "$(echo ${i} | cut -c${j})" sleep 1 done done this currently outputs: -\|/-\|/-\|/-\| .....etc ---------- Post updated at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:10 PM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
7 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)