Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombie process
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zombie process Post 20365 by orca on Thursday 25th of April 2002 07:29:26 AM
Old 04-25-2002
zombie

i found a better explianation from http://www.erlenstar.demon.co.uk/unix/faq_2.html#SEC13

When a program forks and the child finishes before the parent, the kernel still keeps some of its information about the child in case the parent might need it -- for example, the parent may need to check the child's exit status. To be able to get this information, the parent calls wait(); when this happens, the kernel can discard the information.

In the interval between the child terminating and the parent calling wait(), the child is said to be a `zombie'. (If you do `ps', the child will have a `Z' in its status field to indicate this.) Even though it's not running, it's still taking up an entry in the process table. (It consumes no other resources, but some utilities may show bogus figures for e.g. CPU usage; this is because some parts of the process table entry have been overlaid by accounting info to save space.)
regs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

I would like to create a zombie process so that I can test monitoring software functionality. Any techniques? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swhitney
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to handle a zombie process

hi! i am writing a c program which has the following structure: main() { child1 child1.1 child2 child2.1 } the child1.1 and 2.1 are becoming zombies... how can i handle this... thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mridula
1 Replies

3. Linux

zombie process

Hi What is the command to find only the zombie processes?? How to write the code in C to fetch the no. of zombie processes?? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeenat
5 Replies

4. Linux

How to kill zombie process

I have RHES4 machine with VRTSralus - Backup Exec agent installed there and running as a service. The agent hiccups sometimes and turns into defunct state. The problem is that I cannot kill it anyway., it stays there forever until the machine is rebooted. I wonder if anyone had such an experience... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: will_mike
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

6. Solaris

zombie process

dear friends, in an interview they asked me what is zombie process. how we can identifying these process.if can you kill all zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
8 Replies

7. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to Kill Zombie Process

Dear Bos, I have one server,everday if I check with command TOP always present zombie,like below: last pid: 4578; load averages: 0.15, 0.11, 0.13 07:56:15 298 processes: 295 sleeping, 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredginting
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process question

Hey guys, So i did some research on the site but previous posts answered most of my questions about zombie processes but I have one question that didnt seem to get addressed "how do you find the parent or parent ID of a zombie process so you can kill it?" I know p -kill doesnt always just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin007
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies
preap(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)