Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help.. I am in way over my head !!!! Post 20341 by oberon42 on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 10:34:05 PM
Old 04-24-2002
help.. I am in way over my head !!!!

my boss has done it again
I have been sent to fix a unix issue
and I ma hoping you can help
three issues
1st. I have a printer that when you try to print to it the print job comes out on a diffrent printer. If I take the printer ( dot matrix thourgh a serail connection) to a diffrent local the print job does not come out anywhere. if I put a good printer in the bad printers spot nothing happens either. we now have a new printer with a new serail interface card and a blank adpater for me to pin out if I can figure out the pinout needed from a diffrent printer to convert the serail to an rj45 plug.
2nd. I have a termianl that will not connect to the server (wyse 50) The client has purchased a new terminal but we have not installed any of the new equipment yet. the term lights up and you can interact with its interface but not the network
3rd. the client told me that the last tech had done something in the server itself to slow down some connections and speed up others unfortunatly the ones he slowed down are now the ones they needed sped up. and I have NO idea how to do this
I am not sure what version of unix this is I think it is ver. 8 if that sounds right it is about 2 years old.
any help would put me forever in your debt. (if your ever in the Atlantic city area I'd buy you lunch =:-) )

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

head usage

$ct=1 head -n $ct file. When i used like this, i got an error , Bad usage of head Cant we use variables in place of number in HEAD. In my requirement for every iteration i should increase the number in Head and tail the last one. HOw can i achieve this (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search HEAD of CVS

Im looking for a 'relatively' easy way to search through cvs to look for a particular string in the HEAD revisions. I realize the way CVS stores versions makes this difficult. But I'm trying to come up with some script to allow this search (performance is not expected here). Currently this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheowl2
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative for head command

Hi friends,I am new to unix and this is really a dummy question.but please help me out. How to simulate head command without using head command??? also tail command too,also more command. it is given as a homework to do....please tell me how to do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head followed by variable??

I know that the common use of head is for example head -3 etc.Is there any possibility that,if i have a variable that equals to an integer(i=5),i can write head -i?? If not,what syntax or commands should i write down in order to have the same result? //maybe something lik head -"$variable" ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command with more than one file

Hi, I have the following problem. I have files with one column of data (let's say file1.dat, file2.dat...file6.dat), and I would like to record the first value of the column of each file into another file (let's name it fileall.dat), which would have the the six values, one in each column. I use to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Head Tail Problem

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: view the 7th line of the program xxx.sh 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: head command tail... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbell221
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help using head cmd, print 20 then the next 20 etc

Hi all, I have a list of text, single column and I want to print the first 20, then the second 20 and so on. I was pointed to xarg to help with this, but can't get my head around how to use it. Would be great if it would put them into separate files with a certain name. Any suggestions... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onfirealot
2 Replies
printers.conf(5)						    Apple Inc.							  printers.conf(5)

NAME
printers.conf - printer configuration file for cups DESCRIPTION
The printers.conf file defines the local printers that are available. It is normally located in the /etc/cups directory and is generated automatically by the cupsd(8) program when printers are added or deleted. Each line in the file can be a configuration directive, a blank line, or a comment. Comment lines start with the # character. DIRECTIVES
<Printer name> ... </Printer> Defines a specific printer. <DefaultPrinter name> ... </Printer> Defines a default printer. Accepting Yes Accepting No Specifies whether the printer is accepting new jobs. AllowUser [ user @group ... ] Allows specific users and groups to print to the printer. DenyUser [ user @group ... ] Prevents specific users and groups from printing to the printer. DeviceURI uri Specifies the device URI for a printer. ErrorPolicy abort-job ErrorPolicy retry-current-job ErrorPolicy retry-job ErrorPolicy stop-printer Specifies the error policy for the printer. Info text Specifies human-readable text describing the printer. JobSheets banner banner Specifies the banner pages to use for the printer. KLimit number Specifies the job-k-limit value for the printer. Location text Specifies human-readable text describing the location of the printer. OpPolicy name Specifies the operation policy for the printer. PageLimit number Specifies the job-page-limit value for the printer. PortMonitor monitor Specifies the port monitor for a printer. QuotaPeriod seconds Specifies the job-quota-period value for the printer. Shared Yes Shared No Specifies whether the printer is shared. State idle State stopped Specifies the initial state of the printer (Idle or Stopped) StateMessage text Specifies the message associated with the state. StateTime seconds Specifies the date/time associated with the state. SEE ALSO
classes.conf(5), cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), mime.convs(5), mime.types(5), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 29 April 2009 CUPS printers.conf(5)