Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fragments in Solaris 8
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users fragments in Solaris 8 Post 20337 by hugo_perez on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 06:20:03 PM
Old 04-24-2002
Blocks not currently being used as inodes, indirect address blocks, or storage blocks are marked as free in the cylinder group map. This map also keeps track of fragments to prevent fragmentation from degrading disk performance.

It's posible that in some circunstances the file systems become
fragmented (see the output of fsck). In that case, use the tunefs.

The Block size and fragment size can be customized when you create the filesystem. If you use the "quot -c" , you can determine
the number of files of that size, and a cumulative total of blocks containing files of that size or a smaller size.

example:

quot -c /opt

/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3:

0 1 0
1 988 988
2 292 1572
3 227 2253
4 139 2809
1336 1 90691
1376 1 92067
1384 1 93451
1584 1 95035
1752 1 96787
2047 16 155355

if you think that the default sizes (for blocks and fragmets) is not the better; take a backup create the FS with your values, and restore the backup (using tar).

Regards. Hugo.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to login using ssh,telnet onto my solaris machine with solaris 10 installed

Hi, I am unable to login into my terminal hosting Solaris 10 and get the below error message "Server refused to allocate pty ld.so.1: sh: fatal: libc.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory " Is there anyways i can get into my machine and what kind of changes are required to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
7 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter blocking ip fragments

For some reason ipfilter is blocking inbound fragmented ip packets (the packets are larger than the interface's MTU) that are encapsulating UDP segments. The connection works, so I know ipfilter is letting some traffic through, it is just a lot slower than it should be. Rules that allow the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted. Here was my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract fragments from file

I have a .xml file that looks something like this : <measInfo> ......... string1 ......... </measInfo> <measInfo> ...... string2 ........ </measInfo> I want to extract only the 'chunk of file' from '<measInfo>' to '</measInfo>' containing string1 (or a certain string that I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the results of these two code fragments are not the same?

Code 1: #!/bin/sh for arg1 in "$@" do counter=0 for arg2 in "$@" do if && then counter=$((counter+1)) continue fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnprogrammer
8 Replies
TUNEFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 TUNEFS(8)

NAME
tunefs -- tune up an existing file system SYNOPSIS
tunefs [-AFN] [-e maxbpg] [-g avgfilesize] [-h avgfpdir] [-l logsize] [-m minfree] [-o optimize_preference] [-q quota] special | filesys DESCRIPTION
tunefs is designed to change the dynamic parameters of a file system which affect the layout policies. The following options are supported by tunefs: -A Cause the values to be updated in all the alternate superblocks instead of just the standard superblock. If this option is not used, then use of a backup superblock by fsck(8) will lose anything changed by tunefs. -A is ignored when -N is specified. -F Indicates that special is a file system image, rather than a device name or file system mount point. special will be accessed 'as-is'. -N Display all the settable options (after any changes from the tuning options) but do not cause any of them to be changed. -e maxbpg This indicates the maximum number of blocks any single file can allocate out of a cylinder group before it is forced to begin allo- cating blocks from another cylinder group. Typically this value is set to about one quarter of the total blocks in a cylinder group. The intent is to prevent any single file from using up all the blocks in a single cylinder group, thus degrading access times for all files subsequently allocated in that cylinder group. The effect of this limit is to cause big files to do long seeks more frequently than if they were allowed to allocate all the blocks in a cylinder group before seeking elsewhere. For file systems with exclusively large files, this parameter should be set higher. -g avgfilesize This specifies the expected average file size. -h avgfpdir This specifies the expected number of files per directory. -l logsize This value specifies the size of the in-filesystem journaling log file. The default journaling log file size is described in wapbl(4). Specifying a size of zero will cause the in-filesystem journaling log file to be removed the next time the filesystem is mounted. The size of an existing in-filesystem journaling log file can not be changed. -m minfree This value specifies the percentage of space held back from normal users; the minimum free space threshold. The default value is set during creation of the filesystem, see newfs(8). This value can be set to zero, however up to a factor of three in throughput will be lost over the performance obtained at a 5% threshold. Note that if the value is raised above the current usage level, users will be unable to allocate files until enough files have been deleted to get under the higher threshold. -o optimize_preference The file system can either try to minimize the time spent allocating blocks, or it can attempt to minimize the space fragmentation on the disk. If the value of minfree (see above) is less than 5%, then the file system should optimize for space to avoid running out of full sized blocks. For values of minfree greater than or equal to 5%, fragmentation is unlikely to be problematical, and the file system can be optimized for time. optimize_preference can be specified as either space or time. -q quota enable or disable a quota. quota can be one of user, group, nouser or nogroup to enable or disable the specified quota type. Multi- ple -q can be used to enable/disable all types at once. After enabling a quota, fsck_ffs(8) has to be run to compute the correct quota values. SEE ALSO
wapbl(4), fs(5), dumpfs(8), fsck_ffs(8), newfs(8) M. McKusick, W. Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry, "A Fast File System for UNIX", ACM Transactions on Computer Systems 2, 3, pp 181-197, August 1984, (reprinted in the BSD System Manager's Manual, SMM:5). HISTORY
The tunefs command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
This program should work on mounted and active file systems. Because the super-block is not kept in the buffer cache, the changes will only take effect if the program is run on unmounted file systems. To change the root file system, the system must be rebooted after the file sys- tem is tuned. You can tune a file system, but you can't tune a fish. BSD
December 15, 2010 BSD