Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Log file - permission
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Log file - permission Post 20302 by ajkiruba on Wednesday 24th of April 2002 09:35:41 AM
Old 04-24-2002
Data

Dear Kelam

My log file is available at /var/log/cron. It does execute three files at /ect/cron.hourly. But none are related to this logfile /var/log/openwebmail.log. One msec command is executed, but these 2 files and 1 command are executed hourly and not for every 30 minutes.

Even if i remove the log file, the moment i execute the application which is Openwebmail, the logfile is created by the application. After 30 min. gap the permission of group changes to 'root' from mail and mode from '0660' to '0640', which were the permissions and mode when the file was created automatically.

Now, if the change the path of the logfile to a different directory, i am able to login, but while logging out, the application generates the error 'Could not open <log-file-path>/openwebmail.log'.

During the installation of this application there were no questions asked. Options can be altered in the config file wherein i had changed the path of the config file.

How to go ahead ? I can create cron entry so that it runs every 25 minutes to circumvent this problem. But, the question is why and how this occurs ?

Thanks Kelam.

- jose

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

The file permission

there is a directory eg. /home/edp/ , all the files under this directory : 1. the file and directory owner is "user1" , 2. the permission is 644 I want everyone hv permission to overwrite all files and write a new file to it , but I want the file owner and permssion keep unchange , could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission on file

i have two user named sourav and jishu. i have created a file named source.txt in sourav. i made another user called shovon. i want to give read write permission of souce.txt for shovon but not for jishu. how can i set permission only for jishu ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sourav_ray
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Permission denied in SMF service log

I can't get the exact error message because I am at home, but on Solaris 10u5 machine I have at work, a few services are stuck in the maintenance state with the following error message in the individual service logs (/var/svc/log/FMRI:instance.log): Cannot chdir: permission denied Fortunately... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

6. Solaris

file permission

hi frnds can u explain /etc/shadow file have read and write permissions for root only but while normal user changes his passwd it also updated in that file whats the logic behind that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan ega
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permission

Hi All, https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/105758-chmod-parent-sub-directories.html I have to change permission for the directories and subdirectories in single command when googled i found some updates but i understand what is switch. If there is a command please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/var/log/wtmp SuSE log permission rollback

Hello All, On my SuSE system, I have wtmp log this log file permission is 644 but every reboot the file permission rollback to 664. In the logrotate.conf and logrotate.d/wtmp files the wtmp logrotate set to 644. I would like to know, which "file" or "script" modify the wtmp log to rollback to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalaso
7 Replies

9. AIX

Syslog log file permission not getting modified.

I'm trying to set the permission for the syslog log file in syslog,conf. --------- The below is my configuration file ## example: # "mail messages, at debug or higher, go to Log file. File must exist." # "all facilities, at debug and higher, go to console" # "all facilities, at crit or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission

Only kernel can write to a directory file. Then what does write permission for a directory imply? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysy
2 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)