Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: O S for new bare PC
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers O S for new bare PC Post 20185 by merlin on Monday 22nd of April 2002 08:21:33 PM
Old 04-22-2002
Before you go out there and order a verion of Linux (UNIX) you should do a bit of reading around to see what the best Linux version will be for you. If you have never used UNIX or Linux before well you don't want to start out with SUSE Linux. Something more along the lines of Mandrake or Redhat is the better Linux to learn with. Easier to use then some of then others.

If you really want to get tricky and have some fun. Or really want to try UNIX itself, you can order a copy of Solaris 8 for intel from the Sun Microsystems website. Don't think you can download this yet as they took the Soalris 8 for intel download off awhile ago, if it's back up and you want to try to download it, make sure you have cable it's not small.

But where to get Linux from? Well you can download it, not really a good idea unless your on aleast a cable connection. Or you can buy it. Or sometimes you can go buy a magizine with the free CD's on the cover, and sometimes they'll have a version of Linux.

:-)
merlin

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bare message script

hey is there a way or write a scipt to send messages to other people without using pre existing applications such as "write" or "to" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yngwie
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing filesnames in bare format with fullpath

Hi, Need help. How can I get a listing of files in bare format with full path. I mean in the following format. /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir1/file2 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file1 /root/dir1/sub-dir2/file2 /root/dir2/sub-dir1/file1 /root/dir2/sub-dir2/file1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

bare metal backup for HP-UX 11i v3?

How can i make a dvd image ( bare metal backup ) for HP-UX 11i v3 installation on integrity servers , for quick recovery for the os and installed software in case of disaster (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

5. Debian

bare bones Debian install

I have read into some of the complexity in the docs in Debian on the install procedure. Is there any guiding light on what is required for a bare bones install. I have read in maybe the wikipedia that the einstein behind Debian has put in place every thing imaginable for any particular Machine.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Is here anyone hands on in Linux Bare Metal Restore..??

Hi all, I am working on Linux Bare Metal Restore in which i have few things to be discussed with a person who has his/her hands on in that process. If anyone kindly give a reply post in this thread.. :) :) Thanks Selva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies

7. SCO

Virtualization a bare metal SCO Open Server 6?

Hello, We have a SCO Open Server 6 running on bare metal hardware, this is used for a legacy application that we continue to need. I would like to migrate/virtualize the SCO server into VMware so that I can do VM level backups, etc. I did test to make sure SCO 6.0 can run in VMware/ESXi... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
11 Replies
DIFFINDEX-DOWNLOAD(1)													     DIFFINDEX-DOWNLOAD(1)

NAME
diffindex-download - Download utility for Debian Contents files SYNOPSIS
diffindex-download [ options ] URL filename DESCRIPTION
diffindex-download is a command line tool for downloading Contents files. It uses APT's diff/Index format patches when available to avoid downloading the full file. diffindex-download is used by apt-file. OPTIONS
-n number If more than number patches would be necessary, download the whole file. Specifying 0 to always download the whole file is possible. -k Don't verify the peer certificate when using https. -c cacert If cacert is a directory: Use cacert as CA certificate path. Otherwise use cacert as CA certificate bundle. See the --capath and --cacert options in the curl(1) man page. -i Don't exit with errror if the URL does not exist. This is useful as some archives don't provide Contents files. -q Be quiet (opposite of -v). The default if stdout is not a terminal. -v Be verbose (opposite of -q). The default if stdout is a terminal. -d Print additional debug info. -h Display a short help screen. SEE ALSO
apt-file(1), diffindex-rred(1), curl(1) AUTHOR
diffindex-download was written by Stefan Fritsch <sf@debian.org>. January 2009 DIFFINDEX-DOWNLOAD(1)