Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can I write "$" using echo ? Post 20134 by azran on Monday 22nd of April 2002 11:11:51 AM
Old 04-22-2002
it suppose to work ... i am writing a script that writes a makefile to the files in the current directory , I most use the $ sign .
Can I do it in another way?
10x

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with "write" and "wall"

Hello, I am using VirtualBox to simulate a small network with two Linux computers, the host is Mac OS X. My problem is that I can't send "write" and "wall" messages from the host to one of those Linux computers. Here is what works: - The virtual Linux computer answers "ping" messages that have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123_abc
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
md(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     md(1)

NAME
md -- process raw dependency files produced by cpp -MD SYNOPSIS
md [-d] [-f] [-m makefile] [-u makefile] [-o outputfile] [-v] [-x] [-D c|d|m|o|t|D] DESCRIPTION
The md command basically does two things: Process the raw dependency files produced by the cpp -MD option. There is one line in the file for every #include encountered, but there are repeats and patterns like .../dir1/../dir2 that appear which should reduce to .../dir2. md canonicalizes and flushes repeats from the depen- dency list. It also sorts the file names and "fills" them to a 78 character line. md also updates the makefile directly with the dependency information, so the .d file can be thrown away (see d option). This is done to save space. md assumes that dependency information in the makefile is sorted by .o file name and it procedes to merge in (add/or replace [as appropriate]) the new dependency lines that it has generated. For time effeciency, md assumes that any .d files it is given that were cre- ated before the creation date of the "makefile" were processed already. It ignores them unless the force flag [f] is given. FLAG SUMMARY
-d delete the .d file after it is processed -f force an update of the dependencies in the makefile even though the makefile is more recent than the .n file (This implies that md has been run already.) -m makefile specify the makefile to be upgraded. The defaults are makefile and then Makefile -u makefile like -m above, but the file will be created if necessary -o outputfile specify an output file for the dependencies other than a makefile -v set the verbose flag -x expunge old dependency info from makefile -D c|d|m|o|t|D subswitch for debugging. can be followed by any of "c", "d", "m", "o", "t", "D" meaning: c show file contents d show new dependency crunching m show generation of makefile o show files being opened t show time comparisons D show very low level debugging SEE ALSO
make(1) BUGS
Old, possibly not used by anyone. HISTORY
The md utility was written by Robert V Baron at Carnegie-Mellon University. BSD
June 2, 2019 BSD