Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: displaying the first line?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers displaying the first line? Post 19971 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 18th of April 2002 01:32:03 PM
Old 04-18-2002
if you wanted to pull out a line that had a specific word in it, you can use grep.

grep someword myfile

Of course this will give you every line in a file that has that word in it.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying the path in the command line

Hi all, Does anyone know how to ammend the .cshrc file in $HOME for your session to display the path as part of the command line? So that I dont need to keep on typing pwd to see where I am? thanks Ocelot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying the last line of the file

hi... i need to display the last line of the file and capture the line in to a variable in unix envt.(not the perl ones)... please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmadhuri
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

displaying mutliple fields on command line

This is probably the dumbest question you guys can get, but I'm trying, as a complete noob, to display the unix calendar for all the months without Saturday and Sunday showing. How can I remove those fields without having to type all the fields in individually such as: cal -y | awk '{print $2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying the Second Line of the Grep Search Results

Hi I really hope someone can help with the below question. Lets say that I have a file called output.txt and I want to display all of the lines which contain the word ‘disconnect'. I know that this can easily be obtained by using the following command: grep -i disconnect output.txt However,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunny Sid
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying nth line of a file dynamically

Hi, I have a file split.txt with the following contents one two three four five Suppose if i want to display contents of line 3, I know this could be achieved using the command sed -n '3p' split.txt But I need the line number to be decided dynamically like a=3 sed -n '$ap'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deanamrita
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

displaying a column in horizontal line separated by ', '

cat my.log blah blah blah < 1 djfh jsdfhk jksdfh < 2 dshkfl opeir pqowi < 4 khasd wouipeui say i am perfroming some action similar to below... cat my.log | egrep "<" | awk -F' ' '{print $2}' | grep -v "" it gives output as below 1 2 4 is there anyway to modify above same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Displaying field of NR, not the line #

Within AWK, how do you display a field of NR? Here's my code: awk '(NR>1) && (P1=$1-w)>=100000 {print "increase of" " " P1*.0000179," " "kW at" " " 'NR*60/431900' " " "minutes" "\n" "change from" " " 'NR-10($1)' " " "kW to" " " 'NR+70($1)' "\n"}{w=$1}' filename I can change NR and print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markymarkg123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell for displaying specific records from a line.

Input file. GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812974> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812985> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812986> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812987> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812996> GMDCOM.27936 : Process Request <36812998> GMDCOM.27936 : Process... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
14 Replies

9. Red Hat

Displaying command return in one line

Hello all I have a query (SQL) that returns a rather long field from an Oracle database. The field in question is defined on 400 characters but all these 400 cannot be displayed by the echo command. Thus when I launch the following command: echo "SELECT FIELD01 FROM TABLE_NAME;" | sqlplus -s... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Displaying every other line in an array.

Hi, I have an array, that works well. But, I want to have it display every other line. Like so, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc, etc. Here is the relevant code: I'm sorry for the pastebin link. For some reason, I can't get the code to format properly with the code tags. code tags work fine... everyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)