Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I automatically find important files??? Post 19961 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 18th of April 2002 11:13:37 AM
Old 04-18-2002
Hugo,

I think that TRUEST wanted to also manage these files to make sure they STAY in the users' home directories as well as when he creates new users. You also have to take into account that the user will have other files in their home dirs. So, you must specifically check for the files in question.

That's why I included a line to check for them as well by name and quantity.

BTW, it is also good to let them write the script and not give it all away. They will never learn if we give them the answers.

Outlines are good but not actual full blown code, even though I did kinda the same thing.

Sorry TRUEST.
Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

important. select 10 files each time.

Suppose I have a unix file which contain a lost of 60 files like filename1 filename2 ... .. ... filename60 I want to write a unix script that will pick up first 10 files in first run 10-20 files in 2 run 20-30 files in 3 run 30-40 files in 4 run 40-50 files in 5 run 50-60 files in 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Important finding --- find files greater than 1 MB

as we can find file greater than 1 MB with find command as: find /dir -name '*' -size +1M find /dir/* -name '*' -size +1M but wats its doing is , its finding files only in current directory not in sub-directories. i want files from sub-directories too. Please help... Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files automatically

Ok here is my issue. I have processes which will get screwed up and not run because certain log directories wind up filled too much and a directory will have 100,000 files in it. The only way to fix this is to move files out of this directory until the number of files is small enough that the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and automatically chmod

Hello everyone, my friend is asking for yOur Help. He is asking the script for combined find and changemode utility... Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iennetastic
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of important config files in solaris 10

Hi all, I am going to reitre one solaris 10 server soon. What are the important config files to backup in case if i want to check how this system was setup (need list in general) ? Thanks! in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
1 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Moving Files Automatically

I'm looking to find/create a script so that when a download is complete, I can run the script in order for it to automatically move a file such as... 'example.avi' into my videos folder I'm a novice when it comes to scripting, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Andrew (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: abudis
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete log files automatically.

Here is the script I want to run to deleted log files after a certain time: touch /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs find /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/apps/RSA/logs -atime +120 - exec rm -rf {}\; Exerytime I run it, it throws me the error: find: paths must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lennyz04
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a lot of files in subdirectories automatically

Hi, I have a huge structure of directories and subdirectories contsining some data. The lowest folders contain a file "image.png" which need to be converted to "folder.jpg". But how can I do that for all these files automatically? That's what I alredy have find /path -type f -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KarlKarpfen
1 Replies
qmail-pw2u(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     qmail-pw2u(8)

NAME
qmail-pw2u - build address assignments from a passwd file SYNOPSIS
qmail-pw2u [ -/ohHuUC ] [ -cchar ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-pw2u reads a V7-format passwd file from standard input and prints a qmail-users-format assignment file. A V7-format passwd file is a series of lines. Each line has the format user:password:uid:gid:gecos:home:shell where user is an account name, uid and gid are the user id and group id of that account, and home is the account's home directory. pass- word, gecos, and shell are ignored by qmail-pw2u. If you put the output of qmail-pw2u into /var/lib/qmail/users/assign, and then run qmail-newu, qmail-lspawn will obey the assignments printed by qmail-pw2u. WARNING: After changing any users, uids, gids, or home directories in your passwd file, you must run qmail-pw2u and qmail-newu again if you want qmail-lspawn to see the changes. RULES
By default, qmail-pw2u follows the same rules as qmail-getpw. It skips user if (1) uid is zero, (2) home does not exist, (3) user does not own home, or (4) user contains uppercase letters. It then gives each remaining user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. You may change these rules by setting up files in /var/lib/qmail/users: include Allowed users, one per line. If include exists, and user is not listed in include, user is ignored. exclude Ignored users, one per line. If exclude exists, and user is listed in exclude, user is ignored. mailnames Replacement names for users. Each line has the form user:mailname1:mailname2:... The addresses mailname1 and mailname1-ext and mailname2 and so on will be delivered to user. WARNING: The addresses user and user-ext will not be delivered to user unless user is listed as one of the mailnames. A line in mailnames is silently ignored if the user does not exist. subusers Extra addresses. Each line has the form sub:user:pre: sub will be handled by home/.qmail-pre, where home is user's home directory; sub-ext will be handled by home/.qmail-pre-ext. append Extra assignments, printed at the end of qmail-pw2u's output. OPTIONS
-o (Default.) Skip user if home does not exist (or is not visible to qmail-pw2u). Skip user if home is not owned by user. -h Stop if home does not exist. This is appropriate if every user is supposed to have a home directory. Skip user if home is not owned by user. -H Do not check the existence or ownership of home. -U (Default.) Skip user if there are any uppercase letters in user. -u Allow uppercase letters in user. -cchar Use char as the user-extension delimiter in place of -. -C Disable the user-extension mechanism. -/ Use home/.qmail-/... instead of home/.qmail-... SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-getpw(8) qmail-pw2u(8)