Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File and Dir permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File and Dir permissions Post 19745 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 16th of April 2002 10:53:50 AM
Old 04-16-2002
I am not sure what your ultimate goal is. Why are you so concerned with permissions?

You are playing with fire if you change too many permissions. /etc is a VERY important directory. I know this because I had some sabotage in one of my boxes. /etc was messed up bad. Someone had changed all my files and subdirs to 444 permissions. My system almost shutdown.

Most of the daemons that run are linked to /etc. Many configuration files are located here. I would say that /etc is the most important filesystem after the box is up and running.

Please let us know what your thinking is and what has spurred you to take up this quest for modifying file permissions.

I think you are chasing your tail, just a little bit.

Don't take this the wrong way. Only as a word of caution.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying a file from one dir to another dir

hi i have a script compareFiles() { find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename1 do echo "----------------------------------------$filename1" find /tmp/Satya -type f | \ while read filename2 do if diff $filename1 $filename2 then echo "Both files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to save/restore files and dir permissions

Hello all: I need found script to save and restore file permissions and owner:group... this is for backup my server... I have one problem in my server and file permissions and owner:group, mess up.. For this reason i need found one way to secure this aspect of the server... Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joangopan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file(s) from dir to dir

Hi, I am fairly new to writing scripts. I am trying to write a script that moves either One or All of the files from one directory to another. I know how to make the actual command to do it, but i don't quite know how to add operators to it, ie -i or -a. I want -i to move one file from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirJoeh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying dir (and sub dir) file names from ftp server to txt file in diff server

Hey all, i want to copy only the file names from an ftp server (directory and all sub directory) to a text file in another server (non ftp), i.e. i want to recursively move through directories and copy only the names to a text file. any help is appreciated...thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deking
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a File system with required permissions for all DIR's created in

Hello All, I am application admin. I need to clear all the temporary files cleared by the applications. I need help/suggestion that is there any way to create a file system such that every Dir created in by any user will have 775 permissions. So, that i can simply clear the temporary file which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dir permissions

Hi All, I have a script which will be run by another user say user 2 which will create a new dir say dir 4 in my work place and copy certains files from his dir. /t1/t2/t3/dir4 I want to allow the user to create the dir dir4 and copy the files,but bring the control back to my name say user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list all files in dir and sub-dir's recursively along with file size?

I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In have to list all the files in directory and its sub directories along with file path and size of the file Please help me in this regard and many thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have files take on DIR permissions

Hello all; I have a question based on a ticket I have from a user... K...first some background...this client needed a generic user setup to allow them to ftp files; user is called "msifpt"...so here's what they want to do now with this account: 1. Client will use the user id ‘msiftp'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file Dir and Sub Dir same time

Hi Guys , I want create files Dire and Sub Dire. as same time using variable. EX: x1="/hk/Pt/put/NC/R1.txt" x2="/hk/pt/Put/Ot/NC/RN.txt" And i want delete all after done with my script. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- writing to dir with no write permissions (script)

hello, I have a question regarding the below script.. I just simply trying to write to a file in directory that does not have write permissions but this is failing .. it still writes to it regardless .. Many thanks in advance.. #!/bin/bash #check if dir exists, if so write to it ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reb0rn
5 Replies
check-permissions(1M)					  System Administration Commands				     check-permissions(1M)

NAME
check-permissions - check permissions on mail rerouting files SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/check-permissions [login] DESCRIPTION
The check-permissions script is intended as a migration aid for sendmail(1M). It checks the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file for all configured alias files, and checks the alias files for :include: files. It also checks for certain .forward files. For each file that check-permis- sions checks, it verifies that none of the parent directories are group- or world-writable. If any directories are overly permissive, it is reported. Otherwise it reports that no unsafe directories were found. As to which .forward files are checked, it depends on the arguments included on the command line. If no argument is given, the current user's home directory is checked for the presence of a .forward file. If any arguments are given, they are assumed to be valid logins, and the home directory of each one is checked. If the special argument ALL is given, the passwd entry in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file is checked, and all password entries that can be obtained through the switch file are checked. In large domains, this can be time-consuming. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: login Where login is a valid user name, checks the home directory for login. ALL Checks the home directory of all users. FILES
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf Defines environment for sendmail /etc/mail/aliases Ascii mail aliases file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsndmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getent(1M), sendmail(1M), aliases(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 10 Nov 2003 check-permissions(1M)