Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: superuser password change
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers superuser password change Post 19571 by 98_1LE on Friday 12th of April 2002 11:38:56 PM
Old 04-13-2002
Our company requires root and admin passwd changes every 30 days. It is a real pita! But yes, "passwd root" works. If you are running NIS+ there are a couple other steps to fix the secure RPC passwd (chgkey -p ; nisping org_dir ; keylogin -r).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to change password?

for my membershi id in this site. :) Regards Indrajit (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipzig
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Reset lost superuser/root password in x86

I've come across this question during interview as Sys Adm. "How you reset lost root/superuser password on x86 system running solaris (8/9/10) which remotely located. (Not locally in front of you)" As much as I know, you must be physically in front of the server to reset the lost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahru
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of password

Hi, How can I reset the password for the root on every month that needs to send an email after the password change Via shell script. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
5 Replies

7. Linux

Change password

Hello People, How can i make linux's ssh ask a new password when the user's password is expired? I have some linux servers with this feature working, but other aren't. I've already tried to use chage -D 0 and other arguments, but it's not working as I expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfastar
1 Replies

8. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when an user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with a exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 GSHADOW(5)