Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix on Mac
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix on Mac Post 19349 by LivinFree on Wednesday 10th of April 2002 03:05:40 AM
Old 04-10-2002
When you're logged in to the remote machine, type this:
echo $TERM

If the remote machine doesn't understand your terminal type, vi won't be able to "find it's way around your screen"...

You could always fall back on "export $TERM=vt100" before you run vi... see if that helps.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac OS X & Unix.

Are the Terminal commands used in Mac OS 10.1.3 the same as those found on a real Unix system? if they are, what book would you recommend as a terminal refferance guide? I already have 'The Missing Manual' by O'Reilly, but there ain't much in terms of managing the system via the terminal :( ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAdesign
9 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

unix flavour on mac

I'm quite interested in resusing an old bondi iMac i have as a unix box, and i was wondering what distro people would recomend. I had thought of using BSD/FreeBSD cos thats what osx is based on. I'm doing this as a teaching excercise (for myself) so i'm looking for something achievable rather than... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ora
9 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

mac unix

Can anyone tell me were to download unix software for Mac OS X (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezadea
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mac unix

hi, i'm running mac 10.5, and i have a file eg. program after i compiled on the terminal using this command; cc -o program program.c however, i'm unable to see the process hierachy for that program. i tried using "ps -C program -l --forest" and unable to see the tree structure. need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grotesque
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Mac OS X & UNIX

I just joined the Forum a few days ago! :) I have a mac book and decided to look under the hood. Low and behold, UNIX! To be honest, I know nothing about unix, but I want to learn. I have no real goals as of yet, other than to learn what I can. I do own a few domains hosted by a good company. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fellojello
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Unix on a Mac OS X

Hi. I'm using a Mac computer to perform all my Unix operations. At the moment, I'm employing osascript to interact between windows and don't know whether the same is possible to do it on a BASH shell without calling osascript. If so, I would like to see an example of how to do it. Many thanks in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hresquivelo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix on mac

Hello, I formated my hard disk and i recovered some videos, but the thing is the videos were in .MOV format and now there are just UNIX executable files, i tried to write at the end of the name the extension but quicktime didn't recognize me the videos, somebody can help me with this problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arielorc
1 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)