Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tracing a terminal
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tracing a terminal Post 19274 by alex blanco on Monday 8th of April 2002 06:24:03 PM
Old 04-08-2002
kind of UNIX

Well sorry I miss the UNIX kind.

Im using SOlaris 7

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracing file modifications

Hello all! Is there a way or a utility to trace any kind of file changes in a particular directory on any UNIX machine? The purpose is that in Unix, there are multiple ways of opening and making changes to a file. But internally, there must be something common (a single pipe, etc.) that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupta_ca
3 Replies

2. Linux

tracing

hello every one can any one help me out i just want to trace what ever i am doing in linux 8.0 in the text mode to be saved in a text file so that at the end i can see my work what i have do. its just like oracle spool so you can see your work at the end . for example what ever command u gave... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shary
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing in linux

hello every one can any one help me out i just want to trace what ever i am doing in linux 8.0 in the text mode to be saved in a text file so that at the end i can see my work what i have do. its just like oracle spool so you can see your work at the end . for example what ever command u gave... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tracing processes in shell

Is there a way to have the output from: strace -p 10101 placed in a text file so we can download it and look it over? Thanks Richard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tracing file installation

Hello, my first post here. I have a script to install a program which runs the user through installation interface offering several options. What I want to do is to trace the possible mistakes during the installation and send them to a logfile. I.e if a user interrupts the installation, I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tetreb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File access tracing

Hello.. Is there anyway to check if some processes are reading one file? Id use inotify, but my kernel is 2.6.9, so it doesnt work. -k- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimmo_
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tracing a function call

Hi I am hoping someone can explain this to me as I am struggling to understand it. I had a problem today with needing to trace a ksh script that was dotting in a function that was writing to stdout. The problem was it was being run in a sub shell and the output was being parsed by the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
1 Replies

8. Programming

Ascii vs Pcap tracing

Dear All, Which is better to use ? Ascii or Pcap tracing ? Or are they complementary ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knowledgeSeeker
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
ul(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ul(1)

Name
       ul - process underscores for terminal

Syntax
       ul [-i] [-t terminal] [name...]

Description
       The  command  reads  the  named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which
       indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM.  The -t option overrides  the  terminal  kind
       specified  in  the  environment.  The file /etc/termcap is read to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining.	If the terminal is
       incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead.  If the terminal can overstrike, or  handles  under-
       lining automatically, degenerates to If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored.

The  -i option causes to indicate underlining by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at
       the underlining which is present in an output stream on a crt-terminal.

Options
       -i Displays underscoring on separate line containing appropriate dashes (-).

-t terminal
	  Uses type of specified terminal in place your terminal's type.

Restrictions
       The command usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining.  No attempt is made	to
       optimize the backward motion.

See Also
       man(1), nroff(1), colcrt(1)

ul(1)