Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Difference Technique's???
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference Technique's??? Post 19192 by Shakey21 on Sunday 7th of April 2002 08:21:05 PM
Old 04-07-2002
Difference Technique's???

Is there any better way of doing this? I only want to find a status of a diff, ie diff the file and return to me whether it is different or not or non-existant.

This example works, however I think it could be less messier:

workd=`pwd`;find $workd -name "*.sum" | while read line ; do pworkd=`echo $line | sed s./env1./env2.g`; diff $line $pworkd >/dev/null ; echo $line $? ; done >/logs/DiffsInSomeFiles.txt

and I have this script below to acutally write the files that are different to a specific text file with the full path name converted to the basename (to fix having some files have the same name in diff paths). Any better suggestions here as well? ie making it only do the diff once without the status bit?

workd=`pwd`;find $workd -name "*.sum" | while read line ; do pworkd=
`echo $line | sed s./env1./env2.g`; diff $line $pworkd > /dev/null ; if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then base=`echo $line | sed s./._.g`
diff $line $pworkd >/logs/${base}.txt; fi ; done

thanks
Shakey21

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What's the difference between Unix, Linux, and Solaris?

If anyone can tell me the difference between the three or where I can find more info I would appreciated it. I see alot of companies looking for people with knowledge in Unix but every time I try to find information about it I see Linux instead. Is there a market trend in these operating... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITmommy
2 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between NULL and ' '

If I write a ksh script like : if || exit fi because I want to control the command syntax. Do I use ' ' or NULL to specify the none value of the arguments in the command. thanks .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoang
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It soon becomes a large file. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

BELKIN 'F5D5020' 16bit PCMCIA - FreeBSD HOWTO

Hey all, I've bought a few bits from Belkin who seem quite happy to support FreeBSD! Last time I bought a UPS from them and it's still going well :D I saw this on their website that the 16bit PCMCIA card was supported under FreeBSD: http://www.belkin.com/network/F5D5020.html I went to my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
ZDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZDIFF(1)

NAME
zcmp, zdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
zcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] zdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Zcmp and zdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on files compressed via gzip. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only file1 is specified, it is compared to the uncompressed contents of file1.gz. If two files are specified, their con- tents (uncompressed if necessary) are fed to cmp or diff. The input files are not modified. The exit status from cmp or diff is pre- served. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), zmore(1), zgrep(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs may refer to file names such as "-" instead of to the file names specified. ZDIFF(1)