Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ntp Server
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Ntp Server Post 19187 by mikek147 on Sunday 7th of April 2002 09:35:29 AM
Old 04-07-2002
You might try 'man ntpd' or look at NTP Howto. -mk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 questions about NTP server

Folks; I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network. I have one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server My 3 questions are: 1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts" file on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux server... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
5 Replies

3. BSD

NTP Server on FreeBSD

Hello, I'm trying to create a NTP server on a FreeBSD machine inside my local network, so all the clients of that network can actually query for that machine. Should be of no problem right? Here's the configuration of the /etc/ntp.conf on the FreeBSD machine: server br.pool.ntp.org burst ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

server is not getting synchronized with ntp server

Hello Guys, i have a problem my local server is not getting synchronized with ntpd server. 1)ntpq -p is giving the following output remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ============================================================================== ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
9 Replies

5. Red Hat

NTP server

Hi All.... I need to configure NTP server in my network, which is heterogeneous, containing Linux as well as windows systems. I'm planning to configure it on RHEL 5.0. What are the prerequisites for this and do I need to register this server? Can anyone give me as many information as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amol21
1 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

NTP Server issue

Hi team, I was like try to create an NTP time server under my RHEL6 box, but once I try to sync other Windows clients (and some Linux) I alway get an error with syncing with my NTP server, here is my non-hashed ntp.conf file parameters: driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift restrict 192.168.238.0... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
14 Replies

9. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies

10. Linux

What is the best OS for NTP server?

Hello I need to create NTP server for all my devices, What is the best OS for NTP Server? "CentOS, Redhat, Ubuntu " I tried before Ubuntu but some of device not detect the server Need your recommendation Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moudmm
2 Replies
ntp.conf(5)							File Formats Manual						       ntp.conf(5)

Name
       ntp.conf - Network Time Protocol configuration file

Description
       The  file  is the configuration file for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon, This file must be configured on your system before running
       Any host names that you specify in the file must have an entry in the file, or an entry in the master database, if the  database  is  being
       served to your system by BIND/Hesiod or Yellow Pages.

The file has four entry formats:

trusting no
	    This entry guarantees that your system synchronizes only to the NTP servers identified in the peer and server entries specified.  Dig-
	    ital recommends that all systems include the entry.

peer server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	 Your  system  may  also  provide time synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP servers should be configured with entries.

server server
	    This entry identifies server as one of the NTP servers that your system trusts, and from which your system will accept  time  synchro-
	    nization.	Your  system  can  not	provide  time  synchronization to this server.	Servers can be identified by host name or internet
	    address.

NTP clients should be configured with entries.

peer   /dev/null       LOCL    1       -5      local
	    This entry identifies your system as a local reference clock.  A local reference clock is the most accurate system clock available	at
	    your  site.   If you receive time synchronization from the Internet NTP service, you should not include this entry on any of your sys-
	    tems.  At most, one system in a set of nodes running should be identified as a local reference clock.

A host which specifies this entry should not specify any or entries.

Examples
       This is a sample configuration file for an NTP client which receives time synchronization from the NTP servers: and Lines beginning with  a
       number sign (#) are comments.
       #
       #	       NTP  Configuration File
       #	This file is mandatory for the ntpd daemon
       #
       #
       #
       #   **  A L L  **
       #
       #  "trusting no" prevents this host from synchronizing
       #   to any host that is not listed below.  It is recommended
       #   that all hosts include the line "trusting no".
       #
       trusting no
       #
       #
       #    **	S E R V E R  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a server, use "peer" entries to
       #  synchronize to other NTP servers.  For example, server1,
       #  server2, and server3.
       #
       #peer	      server1
       #peer	      server2
       #peer	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	C L I E N T  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a client, use "server" entries to
       #  synchronize to NTP servers.  For example, server1, server2,
       #  and server3.
       #
       server	      server1
       server	      server2
       server	      server3
       #
       #
       #
       #    **	L O C A L   R E F E R E N C E	C L O C K  **
       #
       #  If you are configuring a local reference clock, include the
       #  following entry and the "trusting no" entry ONLY.
       #
       #peer	 /dev/null LOCL 1    -5   local
       #

See Also
       ntp(1), ntpd(8), ntpdc(8)
       RFC 1129--Internet time synchronization:  The Network Time Protocol
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

ntp.conf(5)