Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding process id
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding process id Post 18985 by sskb on Thursday 4th of April 2002 06:48:44 PM
Old 04-04-2002
finding process id

is there a way to find the process id of a process because i have same process invoked several times.
when i need to kill them, i get confused with the id.

Thanks,
sskb
Smilie
sskb

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding Out When A Process Has Finished?

Problem I have an application which basically runs lots of UNIX programs remotely, using the Telnet protocol. For each program it remotely executes, it stores the process ID (PID) for that process. At regular intervals, I would like my application to take the PID for every process still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cuervo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out process id in a scipt

Hi, If in a shell script i write a command ls > bla & ls The output is redirected to bla and the next ls starts as first one is going on in background. I want to find the PID of the first command. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding Background Process Id

Hi Gurus, How can i find background process is completed or not. I have mentioned my scenario below. Actually Pr1 Process is running in back ground, i just want to know whether this process completed or not. I can come to know the process id by typing pid=$! but i want to trigger... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk_555
4 Replies

4. Linux

Need help in finding process

Hello, Iam running a apache webserver in CentOS recenlty a hacker has attacked my server using RFI attack and did something in my server.. After that everyday at 8Pm my httpd is using about 5000 pid's actually in normal it takes only about 30 - 40 pid's. and also exim uses 2000 pid's totally my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheeraj4uuu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the process id of the process using the ports

Hi Any idea how to get the process id of the process using the ports lsof -i :portnumber does not work in my machine. I am on sun Solaris SPARC. Any suggestion is highly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinny
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding process id of subsequent process

hi all, I am trying to find the process id of the subsequent process created via fork and exec calls in perl. For eg: envVarSetter dataCruncher.exe < input.txt > output.txt When I fork and exec the above command, it returns only the pid of envVarSetter and I don't know how to find the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a rogue process

Afternoon all, hopefully someone can give me a hand with this (the following may be explained very poorly :rolleyes: ) I know there's a process running on one of our Solaris 10 boxes that runs approximately every 5 minutes. Unfortunately I've no idea, who owns it, what it is called, or how it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding process which ended another process

Hello, The scenario is as follows, I have a background process running initially for which i know the PID on machine1. I use ssh from machine 2 to execute a script in machine 1. For some reason the back ground process is terminated. I would like to know which process caused the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a file process ?

Hi, I am trying to find a file that have a different name than it should be processing, the file name is ( Fifa15 ) is there a command to use? I got that file by ps -ef | grep fifa15 but how do I know what is running ? thanks a lot, I am learning unix so sorry if that is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: latinooo
2 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)