Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capture output from interactive script Post 18966 by MizzGail on Thursday 4th of April 2002 01:30:29 PM
Old 04-04-2002
Ok. this is doing what I want to a point. I am getting my trace commands to the errrorlog and not to the user executing the script.

Inside this menu script, one of the options is to show the current status of the system.
When I issue the command, it only goes to the errorlog, but not to the user. (I'm sure this is simple, please bear with me)....
I tried
command >/dev/tty and
command 2>/dev/tty

but its still putting the response into the errorlog only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture scp output

I have a simple script that uses scp to copy some files from one server to another. I want to capture the files that are copied but simple redirection to a file does not work. So I want to capture this output from the scp command in a log file. -bash-3.00$ scp -pr /export/jumpstart/Files... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tornado
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to capture certain output

Hi All, I want to create a script that capture only Date & Time, Current CPU % usage, Disk % usage, Mem % usage and Top process based on this output; Data Collected: 05/17/08 17:19:49 Refresh Interval: 600 seconds GlancePlus Started/Reset: 05/17/08 08:19:45 B3692A GlancePlus... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
18 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Shell Script Output To A File

Hi, I am running a shell script called dbProcess.sh which performs shutdown and startup of various Oracle instances we have.At the time of execution the script produces the following output to the command line window $./dbProcess.sh stop #### Run Details ###### Hostname : server-hop-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Interactive / Non Interactive Shell script

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rits
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to write script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode

Q. Write a script that behaves both in interactive and non interactive mode. When no arguments are supplied it picks up each C program from the directory and prints first 10 lines. It then prompts for deletion of the file. If user supplies arguments with the script , then it works on those files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to capture snoop output

Hi Everyone :), Need your advice as I'm new to UNIX scripting.. I'm trying to write a script to capture snoop output for 5 minutes for every hour for 24 hours. To stop snoop, I need to press Control-C to break it. This is what I got so far, but now I'm stuck! :confused: The script: # cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faraaris
2 Replies

7. AIX

Non interactive command output using script command ?

Hello, Script command helps to save command output to file. (Redicection doesn't work in this case). Besides interactive shell 'recording', Linux script command has "-c" option which allows to record output of some non-interactive command. The problem is that AIX script command variant... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

8. Solaris

How to capture Output of truus command

Hi I want to check if some process is sleeping. I can see that in truss -p <pid> I want to capture output and check that output if proces sis sleeping. Please suggest way to capture output of truss command or other way to check if process is sleeping (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankush_mehra
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Output from an "Interactive" Command?

Hello All, I was wondering how to capture the output of an "interactive" command that is run...? I think "interactive" is the word I'm looking for. For example, commands like "top" and "iftop"... The One I'm trying to work with is "iftop". When you run "iftop" from the command line it begins... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture output from expect script

Hi I am new to Expect scripting. I have to connect to a remote server and capture the output. Here I need output of " send "list registered\r"" to be stored in a file. but after execution, /tmp/capture.txt is of 0 byte #!/usr/bin/expect spawn ssh abc@10.10.10.10 -p 5022 expect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bns928
2 Replies
MOUNT_FDESC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_FDESC(8)

NAME
mount_fdesc -- mount the file-descriptor file system SYNOPSIS
mount_fdesc [-o options] fdesc mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount_fdesc command attaches an instance of the per-process file descriptor namespace to the global filesystem namespace. The conven- tional mount point is /dev and the filesystem should be union mounted in order to augment, rather than replace, the existing entries in /dev. This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot time. The options are as follows: -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The contents of the mount point are fd, stderr, stdin, stdout and tty. fd is a directory whose contents appear as a list of numbered files which correspond to the open files of the process reading the directory. The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. The files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr appear as symlinks to the relevant entry in the /dev/fd sub-directory. Opening them is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. The /dev/tty entry is an indirect reference to the current process's controlling terminal. It appears as a named pipe (FIFO) but behaves in exactly the same way as the real controlling terminal device. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr /dev/tty SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), tty(4), fstab(5), mount(8) CAVEATS
No ~. and .. entries appear when listing the contents of the /dev/fd directory. This makes sense in the context of this filesystem, but is inconsistent with usual filesystem conventions. However, it is still possible to refer to both ~. and .. in a pathname. This filesystem may not be NFS-exported. HISTORY
The mount_fdesc utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.4BSD March 27, 1994 4.4BSD