Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reading filenames inside a program Post 18950 by Jimbo on Thursday 4th of April 2002 12:18:12 PM
Old 04-04-2002
Sounds to me like your program is not a unix script. But if it is a unix script, the test suggested by lvalero will get your true/false, or to get each qualifying filename, you can:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for fn in `ls *.07`
do
  echo "Processing $fn ..."
done
exit 0

Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading long filenames from nero to AIX

One of my colleagues is having an issue moving files between a windows box and the AIX servers in the office. The filenames are being truncated though i don't know to what extent. He's using Nero to burn the CD and I think he mentioned he's using Joliet. I found another thread that shows a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: categoryzd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading filenames with extension .xml

Hi, I want to write a script to read all the filenames with extension .xml in a directory and pass the name of the file, one by one, to another function. Please help me out. Regards. Saurabh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhalotias
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in reading inside a while loop

I am not able to read inside a while though i get the message "inside read" the cursor doesnt prompt from the console cat file | while read ln_new_engine_dirs do echo "inside $ln_new_engine_dirs" if then read nn echo "inside read" fi done Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading inside a loop

Hi I am trying read in side a do statement but it is not working it is just printing abc before read but not stopping in abc for user input Can anybody please help #!/usr/bin/ksh cat sample_file | while read ln_source3 do param=`echo $ln_source3 | nawk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
1 Replies

6. Programming

how to call c executable inside c program??

hi guys i have only basic knowledge of c so guys plz help me ..... i want 2 call c executable which requires file name as argument and i need to modify file contents before calling that executable now my question is how can i call this c executable inside another c program with arguments ?? i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input record from inside nawk

Hi friends, I have small query with reg to awk search pattern.. below is my sample file and code which i tried.. $ cat file.txt xxx,yyyyy,messageID,sha xxxx,errorcode,messageID,name in the above sample file - let assume I know the errorcode(2nd record) using which I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change to different user id inside a program

Hi, There is a process ( built in C/C++) which starts with my user id and I need to execute a specific function with a different user id. Is there any api so that I provide userid, passwd and the next instance the process will have the new user id privileges. - Pranav (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_pranava
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading filenames with spaces

Hello I've got a certain no. of files in a directory whose names I'm reading and redirecting into a temporary text file using the command below: ls -l | grep ^- | awk '{print $9}'However, whenever the file names contain spaces the above command considers only the part of the file name up to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell program question with Filenames and dates

Hi Unix Gurus Let's say I have the input files like the following. I need to pick the files based on my run date. abcd_20180206.csv abcd_20180213.csv abcd_20180220.csv abcd_20180227.csv efgh_20180206.csv efgh_20180220.csv efgh_20180227.csv ijkl_20180206.csv ijkl_20180213.csv... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SK123
9 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)