Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: not able to log in as root
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not able to log in as root Post 18899 by termiEEE on Thursday 4th of April 2002 04:35:44 AM
Old 04-04-2002
yeah, it was definately the cdromreader. Put the FreeBSD cdrom on my win2k ftp server and installed it that way. Compaq should be forbidden!
still don't know about that login in?

Last edited by termiEEE; 04-04-2002 at 09:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root

I am running a Linux Red Hat 7.2 system and I can't log into the root account. When I tried to su to root from another user by using the command su - root, I get this error message: su: basename.c:67: base_name:Assertion `all-slashes || !((*(p - 1)) == '/ ' ) failed also, when I tried to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't log in other than root - display garbles

I'm hoping someone here can bail me out of this one. I have a box running SCO Openserver 5.0.2. I can log in as root fine, but if I try to log into any other account, I get: Last succenful login for xxxx "bunch of symbols" Standard copyright stuff and returns to a login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log root access

Solaris 8 OS I believe root access is being logged by my server but I only see it being written to the terminal. I want to know if there is a log file and how to not just log root access but if I can also log the IP address from which it is coming? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsbeck
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the log files under the root directory -- Need Info

Hi I need to find all the log files under the root directory and delete them if necessary, if any one has a sample script who can share with me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trace root's activity log

What is the command to check the activity of all users with root access on a Unix platform? Right now, there is like about 20 users with root and someone accidentally made some changes to the crontab and I need to trace which user did it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello I tried to log in as root, through console access, and this is what I got. >root ksh: root: not found Can you tell me why I got this and what causes it. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

10. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies
fitset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 fitset(8)

Name
       fitset - determine if subset fits on a system

Syntax
       fitset [ -d ] [ root-path ]

Description
       The utility is used to determine if the files in a software subset will fit on a system.

Subset inventory records are read from the standard input. For each record, the space required to install the file described in that record
       is deducted from the available free space on the file system to which it would be installed.  Only currently mounted UFS file  systems  are
       used  in  the computations. Space requirements for files already on the disk will be modified to account for the size of the resident copy.
       After all records have been read, the free space computed for all file systems is checked. If the space required to install the files would
       cause any file system to be more than 90% full, returns an exit status of -1.

The  utility  uses  to size all subsets before attempting to install them.  The root-path argument is the pathname of the top directory for
       the hierarchy into which the files are going to be installed. If no root-path is specified, the directory '/' is assumed.

Options
       -d     Enable debugging. This will make print voluminous status information on standard output. This information is the initial file system
	      statistics,  the	file  system  location	of  the file from each input record and the statistics for the file system after the space
	      required to install the file has been deducted.

Restrictions
       NFS mounts are ignored. If software would be installed to an NFS mounted directory, it is sized against the file system containing the  NFS
       mount point.

The  program  does  not	detect the use of symbolic links in paths to root-path or any of the mount points. This can cause to size a subset
       incorrectly if root-path is a symbolic link or a symbolic link exists in the path of any of the pathnames used with the	command  to  mount
       local file systems.

Examples
       To determine if a particular subset will fit on the system, redirect the contents of the subset inventory file into For example:
	   fitset < /usr/etc/subsets/ULTUUCP400.inv

To determine if the same subset will fit in a hierarchy rooted at the command would be:
	   fitset /var/tmp/root < /usr/etc/subsets/ULTUUCP400.inv

Diagnostics
       fitset: root path must be absolute
       A relative pathname was specified for root-path.  This path must be absolute.

fitset: cannot stat root-path (error message)
       The root-path cannot be accessed. The error message provides more information.

fitset: root-path is not a directory.
       Either root-path is not a directory or it is a symbolic link to something which is not a directory.

Files
       Subset inventory files

See Also
       stl_inv(5), setld(8)
       Guide to Preparing Software for Distribution on ULTRIX Systems

fitset(8)