Visit Our UNIX and Linux User Community

Full Discussion: not able to log in as root
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not able to log in as root Post 18889 by termiEEE on Thursday 4th of April 2002 03:01:31 AM
Old 04-04-2002
not able to log in as root

FreeBSD 4.5 (yeah i'm not giving it up)
i installed it on another compaq (I know but it's all they're willing to give to me) and during the first attempt to install it crashed, kept on his 9%. Rebooted and ran install again and when it finished i wanted to log in as root and it returned me over and over again the startup screen (core dump was the error message). I could log in as a user i made extra during the install.
I guess some things went wrong during the install and i bet it's because of a crappy cdromreader which has problems with my clonecd of FreeBSD.
But how comes that i can could log in as a regular user and not as root? (damn forgot to try SU Smilie).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP ME HELP!!!! I can't Log in as root

I am running a Linux Red Hat 7.2 system and I can't log into the root account. When I tried to su to root from another user by using the command su - root, I get this error message: su: basename.c:67: base_name:Assertion `all-slashes || !((*(p - 1)) == '/ ' ) failed also, when I tried to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't log in other than root - display garbles

I'm hoping someone here can bail me out of this one. I have a box running SCO Openserver 5.0.2. I can log in as root fine, but if I try to log into any other account, I get: Last succenful login for xxxx "bunch of symbols" Standard copyright stuff and returns to a login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log root access

Solaris 8 OS I believe root access is being logged by my server but I only see it being written to the terminal. I want to know if there is a log file and how to not just log root access but if I can also log the IP address from which it is coming? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsbeck
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the log files under the root directory -- Need Info

Hi I need to find all the log files under the root directory and delete them if necessary, if any one has a sample script who can share with me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trace root's activity log

What is the command to check the activity of all users with root access on a Unix platform? Right now, there is like about 20 users with root and someone accidentally made some changes to the crontab and I need to trace which user did it. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hello I tried to log in as root, through console access, and this is what I got. >root ksh: root: not found Can you tell me why I got this and what causes it. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

10. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies
GRUB-MKNETDIR(1)						   User Commands						  GRUB-MKNETDIR(1)

NAME
grub-mknetdir - prepare a GRUB netboot directory. SYNOPSIS
grub-mknetdir [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
--compress=no|xz|gz|lzo compress GRUB files [optional] -d, --directory=DIR use images and modules under DIR [default=/usr/lib/grub/<platform>] --fonts=FONTS install FONTS [default=unicode] --install-modules=MODULES install only MODULES and their dependencies [default=all] -k, --pubkey=FILE embed FILE as public key for signature checking --locale-directory=DIR use translations under DIR [default=/usr/share/locale] --locales=LOCALES install only LOCALES [default=all] --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --themes=THEMES install THEMES [default=starfield] -v, --verbose print verbose messages. --core-compress=xz|none|auto choose the compression to use for core image --net-directory=DIR root directory of TFTP server --subdir=DIR relative subdirectory on network server -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. Prepares GRUB network boot images at net_directory/subdir assuming net_directory being TFTP root. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-mkimage(1) The full documentation for grub-mknetdir is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-mknetdir programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-mknetdir should give you access to the complete manual. grub-mknetdir (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-MKNETDIR(1)

Featured Tech Videos