Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance?? Post 18872 by inpavan on Thursday 4th of April 2002 12:47:56 AM
Old 04-04-2002
I totally agree with TRUEST. Lot of guys here are learning UNIX. If people think that the question is 'homework' , then PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the question. And, how can you come to a conclusion that it is a HOMEWORK question?

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Analyzing System Core Files?

can some tell me how to do this. I mean, i tried finding this out on my own but when I checked the man pages, i got a truckload of commands available pertaining to this task which in turn got me confused. so my question is, if there is a simple straight forward(not necessarily easy) way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Maintenance

How do I go about doing this??? Is there something to it other than cleaning up useless files?? if you have knowledge concerning this, please give your suggestions also, is it possible or safe to compress an entire filesystem. how do you go about doing this??? any information is appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system log files and core files?

Solaris v5.6 What log files should be checked out as part of your sys admin daily routine? I've printed out my syslog.conf file, and looked in /var/log and found authlog, syslog, and POPlog. I know of /var/adm/messages. What others should I be looking for? I know of the "find" command. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files at booting of system (system startup)

hi all I have a problem how to write a shell script which delete files/folder form directory whenever system boot and copy last updated folder/file in the specified directory.pse help me ASAP. i write a script which copy files in directory.I want when system boot up using script it check whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

slow performing system

Friends Greetings. I have a RedHat 5.7 64bit virtual server on VMware ESXi 4.1. This server and other Redhat Servers are running very slow. I did some stats collection on ESXi and looks like Linux is holding the disk IO. I am not sure what is causing this behavior. On Linux I checked the CPU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdewal
4 Replies

8. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Should i delete core files ?

Good morning, i need your help please By searching some of the largest files i found some core files that take up much space This is the command: find ./ -type f -name core -exec file {} \; Output: ./xptol/tel/tasacion/CIERR/exe/core: ELF 64-bit MSB core file SPARCV9 Version 1, from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies
asadmin-delete-instance(1AS)					   User Commands				      asadmin-delete-instance(1AS)

NAME
delete-instance - deletes the instance that is not running. SYNOPSIS
delete-instance [--user admin_user] [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--local=false] [--domain domain_name] [--passwordfile filename] [--secure|-s]instance_name Use the delete-instance command to delete the instance that you specify. The delete-instance command can be run both locally and remotely. To delete the instance locally, not requiring the administration server to be up and running, specify the --local option. To delete the instance remotely, the administration server must be running on the hostname and port number specified. The user authenticates using the password identified for the administration server. Additionally, the instance must already exist within the domain served by the adminis- tration server. Use this command with discretion since it is destructive and there is no undo. OPTIONS
--user administrative user associated for the instance. --password administrative password corresponding to the administrative user. --host host name of the machine hosting the administrative instance. --port administrative port number associated with the administrative host. --domain name of the domain. --local determines if the command should delegate the request to administrative instance or run locally. --passwordfile file containing passwords appropriate for the command (e.g., administrative instance). --secure if true, SSL/TLS to communicate with the administrative instance. OPERANDS
instance_name name of the instance to be deleted. Example 1: Using delete-instance in local mode asadmin> delete-instance --domain domain1 server1 Deleted Instance server1 successfully Where: the server1 instance for the domain1 domain is deleted on the local machine. Example 2: Using delete-instance in remote mode asadmin> delete-instance --user admin --passwordfile passwords.txt --host localhost --port 4848 server1 Deleted Instance server1 successfully Where: the server1 instance for the domain associated with the specified user, passwords in the password file, host, and port number is deleted on the remote machine. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command INTERFACE EQUIVALENT
Server Instance page asadmin-create-instance(1AS), asadmin-start-instance(1AS), asadmin-stop-instance(1AS), asadmin-restart-instance(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-instance(1AS)