Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance?? Post 18864 by TRUEST on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 10:55:02 PM
Old 04-03-2002
Just for the record, I am that same guy called IMPORTANT

now, I never post no homework questions because I am learning unix myself. I am not going to school or whatever it is most of you did to know unix.

I dont and will never understand why people just cant give answers. If you dont know it or you dont want to reply, it will be highly appreciated if you dont reply at all.

me, when I see someone ask a question I know the answer to, there's nothing stopping me from answering the questions regardless.

There's nothing better than an answer from someone experienced in unix who knows what and what not to do with specific commands. and no, the man pages is definitely NOT a good place to refer anybody to. the man pages should only be used for definitions of command.

I learn from seeing examples given by experts or should I say experienced administrators. the man pages can never, and I mean NEVER compare to examples given by a unix administrator. They know what to do. they do it on a constant basis. and I will be really suprised if someone has the nerve to actually disagree that man pages are the best place to learn commands

this may sound disrespectful to most if not all you reading this, but this is the truth you need to take notice of.

and by the way, a true thanks to all of you who have actually helped me and answered my past questions. I really appreciate your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Analyzing System Core Files?

can some tell me how to do this. I mean, i tried finding this out on my own but when I checked the man pages, i got a truckload of commands available pertaining to this task which in turn got me confused. so my question is, if there is a simple straight forward(not necessarily easy) way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Maintenance

How do I go about doing this??? Is there something to it other than cleaning up useless files?? if you have knowledge concerning this, please give your suggestions also, is it possible or safe to compress an entire filesystem. how do you go about doing this??? any information is appreciated (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system log files and core files?

Solaris v5.6 What log files should be checked out as part of your sys admin daily routine? I've printed out my syslog.conf file, and looked in /var/log and found authlog, syslog, and POPlog. I know of /var/adm/messages. What others should I be looking for? I know of the "find" command. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete files at booting of system (system startup)

hi all I have a problem how to write a shell script which delete files/folder form directory whenever system boot and copy last updated folder/file in the specified directory.pse help me ASAP. i write a script which copy files in directory.I want when system boot up using script it check whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

slow performing system

Friends Greetings. I have a RedHat 5.7 64bit virtual server on VMware ESXi 4.1. This server and other Redhat Servers are running very slow. I did some stats collection on ESXi and looks like Linux is holding the disk IO. I am not sure what is causing this behavior. On Linux I checked the CPU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdewal
4 Replies

8. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Should i delete core files ?

Good morning, i need your help please By searching some of the largest files i found some core files that take up much space This is the command: find ./ -type f -name core -exec file {} \; Output: ./xptol/tel/tasacion/CIERR/exe/core: ELF 64-bit MSB core file SPARCV9 Version 1, from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies
UUQ(1C) 																   UUQ(1C)

NAME
uuq - examine or manipulate the uucp queue SYNOPSIS
uuq [ -l ] [ -h ] [ -ssystem ] [ -uuser ] [ -djobno ] [ -rsdir ] [ -bbaud ] DESCRIPTION
Uuq is used to examine (and possibly delete) entries in the uucp queue. When listing jobs, uuq uses a format reminiscent of ls. For the long format, information for each job listed includes job number, number of files to transfer, user who spooled the job, number of bytes to send, type of command requested (S for sending files, R for receiving files, X for remote uucp), and file or command desired. Several options are available: -h Print only the summary lines for each system. Summary lines give system name, number of jobs for the system, and total number of bytes to send. -l Specifies a long format listing. The default is to list only the job numbers sorted across the page. -ssystem Limit output to jobs for systems whose system names begin with system. -uuser Limit output to jobs for users whose login names begin with user. -djobno Delete job number jobno (as obtained from a previous uuq command) from the uucp queue. Only the UUCP Administrator is permitted to delete jobs. -rsdir Look for files in the spooling directory sdir instead of the default directory. -bbaud Use baud to compute the transfer time instead of the default 1200 baud. FILES
/usr/spool/uucp/ Default spool directory /usr/spool/uucp/C./C.* Control files /usr/spool/uucp/Dhostname./D.* Outgoing data files /usr/spool/uucp/X./X.* Outgoing execution files SEE ALSO
uucp(1C), uux(1C), uulog(1C), uusnap(8C) BUGS
No information is available on work requested by the remote machine. The user who requests a remote uucp command is unknown. Uuq -l can be horrendously slow. AUTHOR
Lou Salkind, New York University 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 24, 1986 UUQ(1C)