Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: extremely headache
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers extremely headache Post 1886 by mib on Thursday 5th of April 2001 05:38:13 AM
Old 04-05-2001
try to setup .netrc. this file contains login and initialization information used by the rexec.

in your earlier post you mentioned you tried .netrc already. and it gives Error - .netrc file not correct mode. Remove password or correct mode.

the reason behind this error is .netrc file is readable, writable or executable by someone other than the owner. You should change its mode to 400 (chmod 400 .netrc).

a valid .netrc entry:
machine     hostnamehere     login     usernamehere     password     passwordhere

hope this will help you. Smilie

[Edited by mib on 04-05-2001 at 05:40 AM]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DHCP client & ipchains headache

Hi all, I upgraded my SUSE 6.1 to SUSE 7.1 and at once the following things won't work anymore: 1) My DHCP client is not able anymore to retrieve my IP address from the @home server. It times out all the time. If I use a fixed IP I can get on the net, so there is no physical problem. 2) I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micky
3 Replies

2. Solaris

A very headache problem

guys, need your help~~~~ I am setting up a Sun Enterprise 450 Ultra 4 server originally I was using Sun solaris 9 1202 version. but after an accident (i guess becoz i deleted something wrongly), the system cannot boot up. and now I wana install a FreeBSD(since it is free and it will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrDJay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed make me headache... need help!

I've still a little problem with sed. So, the content of my file.txt is like: 101.10.20.2.1079 > 101.11.2.20.80: 101.10.20.2.1080 > 101.11.2.20.80: 101.10.20.2.1081 > 101.10.20.2..80: 101.05.15.143.1068 > tpo68-96-22-1.no.no.cox.net.4391: 101.05.15.143.1072 >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed headache

Hi all, I've got a thorny sed/regex problem and I thought somebody out there might be able to help. I'd like to use sed in a Makefile to parse a path string. The path might look like this: case 1: /mnt/users/bob/build/src or case 2: /mnt/users/bob/build/src/foo or case 3: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnarl
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting headache... loops & variables

Surely there's an easier way to do this, lets see if anyone knows! I am new to scripting so go easy on me! I have the following script and at the moment it doesn't work and I believe the problem is that I am using a while loop within a while loop. When I run the script using sh -x I can see... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StevePace
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Friday afternoon headache

Hi all, It's been a long week and my brain is clearly not functioning right so hopefully someone can help me out here. I've got a function in a script which just checks if a MySQL database directory exists or not. Code is as follows: dbCheck2() { if ; then { : # carry... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _Spare_Ribs_
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting a file headache

Hello does anyone know how to do the following using some simple unix if possible: I have a file with the following info as comma separated. It shows username, id number and all the subjects they are enrolled in on the one line. The subjects are separated by colons. UserName,ID,Subject... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynneycat
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extremely New

I just loaded Cygwin on my XP deskop. I am TRYING to install a program that said it needs this program to run. How do I install or run a program? Keep in mind I just started with Unix yesterday:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gss
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh command headache

Good day, I am trying to run a ssh command on a remote server, but when I run the command the server takes FOREVER... and ends up giving me an error.. then the script also kicks server load up by 100% while it is running.. But if I run the same command on the server it goes pretty quickly and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner: script headache

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, but doing my best to learn things. Today doing courses there was exercise like this: #!/usr/bin/bash a=$1 b=$2 if ] then echo "Conditions are met" else echo "Conditions are not met" fi I improved it a little, beacuse of curiosity :D to this: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rosentine
8 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc, .netrc -- user configuration for ftp DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)