Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Maintenance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Maintenance Post 18842 by IMPORTANT on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 03:33:51 PM
Old 04-03-2002
thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help

i need to ask one more thing.

see, one of my job is to perform filesystem maintenance. how exactly do I go about doing that. not to say that I am completely new to unix cause am not. I'am the same guy that goes by the name TRUEST.

now, how can file system maintenance be done efficiently.

when talking about log files and core files, what is the specific format to use to get this files and how do I know for sure that these files are not needed.

i really dont mean to stress you but judging from what you said about your job, I feel, you know and is experience in the job am into.

if you could give me some examples of how you go by your daily work. obviously am not asking you to teach me how to do your job. but any example derived from your daily job will be higly appreciated

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Board Maintenance

Just a remark now the board has grown to considerable proportion. I see too little of an active hand(s) maintaning the boards, clipping away dead posts, moving posts that were created in the wrong forums etc. It's a bit tiring to see alot of threads ending in: this has been covered before, do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Operation and Maintenance

I gurus of Solaris, I need to do a Procedure concerning in the Maintenance of Solaris Server. What are the parameters that I must be see Periodically in a Server. For example the space I (df -h) must be each week.- In this server exist a Database aplication (Oracle), and log's that increase or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintenance script

Hi Guys i wonder if anyone can help. i want to create a script that checks multiple servers for disk space availible, cpu usage for past 24 hours. as well as check if all the hardware components are still doing their jobs. i will be doing this in the tcsh, can anyone help? OS = Sun Solaris 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

7. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

9. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies
GLOBUS-JOB-STATUS(1)						  GRAM5 Commands					      GLOBUS-JOB-STATUS(1)

NAME
globus-job-status - Check the status of a GRAM5 job SYNOPSIS
globus-job-status JOBID globus-job-status [-help] [-usage] [-version] [-versions] DESCRIPTION
The globus-job-status program checks the status of a GRAM job by sending a status request to the job manager contact for that job specifed by the JOBID parameter. If successful, it will print the job status to standard output. The states supported by globus-job-status are: PENDING The job has been submitted to the LRM but has not yet begun execution. ACTIVE The job has begun execution. FAILED The job has failed. SUSPENDED The job is currently suspended by the LRM. DONE The job has completed. UNSUBMITTED The job has been accepted by GRAM, but not yet submitted to the LRM. STAGE_IN The job has been accepted by GRAM and is currently staging files prior to being submitted to the LRM. STAGE_OUT The job has completed execution and is currently staging files from the service node to other http, GASS, or GridFTP servers. OPTIONS
The full set of options to globus-job-status are: -help, -usage Display a help message to standard error and exit. -version Display the software version of the globus-job-status program to standard output. -versions Display the software version of the globus-job-status program including DiRT information to standard output. ENVIRONMENT
If the following variables affect the execution of globus-job-status. X509_USER_PROXY Path to proxy credential. X509_CERT_DIR Path to trusted certificate directory. BUGS
The globus-job-status program can not distinguish between the case of the job manager terminating for any reason and the job being in the DONE state. SEE ALSO
globusrun(1) University of Chicago 03/18/2010 GLOBUS-JOB-STATUS(1)