Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Maintenance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Maintenance Post 18809 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 10:24:51 AM
Old 04-03-2002
First of all these files are not useless. They tell you about the health of your system. System maintenance in short is System Administration, this is what I do everyday. It is the definition of a UNIX system admin.

I am not sure why you would want to compress an entire filesystem, that would be rather dangerous if it is a system directory necessary for the operation of the box. Very few if any filesystems are so full that you would need to compress everything in it.

You can do a "man compressdir" or "man compress". The compressdir command will recursively descend through subdirectories and compress whatever it can. BUT this could be very detrimental to your system depending on what filesystem it is.

System maintenance is many things.

Performance montoring of CPUs, memory, paging.

Hardware maintenance, user adds and deletes, watching logfiles for errors and warnings, cleaning up core files and monitoring users' use of space, preventing filesystems from reaching 100% especially /var and /root and /tmp, filesytem maintenance, creating new filesystem space, adding new disks for growth of existing filesystems.

Archival of old data, maintaining a backup schedule, offsite storage of backup tapes, disaster recovery, security for boxes, building security, firewall security, etc...

These are just what I can think of right now.

One very powerful command to help you with logfiles and core files is the "find" command. You can "man find" and read about it. It is a very versatile command with many options.

Hope this helps. UNIX is very broad. It may seem very confining at first, but I know of Admins who, after 15 years are still learing something new about UNIX. I have been doing this for almost 5 years and I learn new things almost daily!

The more you learn, the more you realize how much more you don't know.

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Board Maintenance

Just a remark now the board has grown to considerable proportion. I see too little of an active hand(s) maintaning the boards, clipping away dead posts, moving posts that were created in the wrong forums etc. It's a bit tiring to see alot of threads ending in: this has been covered before, do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Operation and Maintenance

I gurus of Solaris, I need to do a Procedure concerning in the Maintenance of Solaris Server. What are the parameters that I must be see Periodically in a Server. For example the space I (df -h) must be each week.- In this server exist a Database aplication (Oracle), and log's that increase or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintenance script

Hi Guys i wonder if anyone can help. i want to create a script that checks multiple servers for disk space availible, cpu usage for past 24 hours. as well as check if all the hardware components are still doing their jobs. i will be doing this in the tcsh, can anyone help? OS = Sun Solaris 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

7. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

9. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies
DAILY(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  DAILY(5)

NAME
daily, daily.conf -- daily maintenance DESCRIPTION
The /etc/daily script is run, by default, every night on a NetBSD system. The /etc/daily.conf file specifies which of the standard daily services are performed. The variables described below can be set to ``YES'' or ``NO'' in the /etc/daily.conf file. Most default to ``YES'', but not all. Check the /etc/defaults/daily.conf file if you are in doubt. (Note that you should never edit /etc/defaults/daily.conf directly, as it is often replaced during system upgrades.) find_core This runs find(1) over the entire local filesystem, looking for core files. run_msgs This runs msgs(1) with the -c argument. expire_news This runs the /etc/expire.news script. purge_accounting This ages accounting files in /var/account. run_calendar This runs calendar(1) with the -a argument. check_disks This uses the df(1) and dump(8) to give disk status, and also reports failed raid(4) components. show_remote_fs In check_disks, show remote file systems, which are not reported on by default. check_mailq This runs mailq(1). check_network This runs netstat(1) with the -i argument, and also checks the rwhod(8) database, and runs ruptime(1) if there are hosts in /var/rwho. full_netstat By default, check_network outputs a summarized version of the netstat(1) report. If a full version of the output run with the -inv options is desired, set this variable. run_fsck This runs fsck(8) with the -n option. run_rdist This runs rdist(1) with /etc/Distfile. run_security This runs the /etc/security script looking for possible security problems with the system. run_skeyaudit Runs the skeyaudit(1) program to check the S/Key database and informs users of S/Keys that are about to expire. run_makemandb If the /etc/man.conf file exists, runs the makemandb(8) utility to update the man.db database for use by apropos(1). fetch_pkg_vulnerabilities Refreshes the local database of package vulnerabilities. See the settings in security.conf(5) for details on the actual package checks. The variables described below can be set to modify the tests: find_core_ignore_fstypes Lists filesystem types to ignore during the find_core phase. Prefixing the type with a '!' inverts the match. For example, 'procfs !local' will ignore 'procfs' type filesystems and filesystems that are not 'local'. find_core_ignore_paths Lists paths to ignore during the find_core phase. For example, '/export' will not descend into any directories under the '/export' hierarchy. This, on a file server, allows to skip user data while still scanning system files. run_fsck_flags Extra options to be passed to fsck(8) if run_fsck is enabled. send_empty_security If set, the report generated by the run_security phase will always be sent, even if it is empty. pkgdb_dir DEPRECATED. Please set PKGDB_DIR in pkg_install.conf(5) instead. If defined, points to the location of the packages database. Defaults to /var/db/pkg. FILES
/etc/daily daily maintenance script /etc/daily.conf daily maintenance configuration /etc/defaults/daily.conf default settings, overridden by /etc/daily.conf /etc/daily.local local site additions to /etc/daily SEE ALSO
monthly(5), security.conf(5), weekly(5) HISTORY
The /etc/daily.conf file appeared in NetBSD 1.3. BSD
July 30, 2012 BSD