Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Maintenance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Maintenance Post 18804 by IMPORTANT on Wednesday 3rd of April 2002 10:04:44 AM
Old 04-03-2002
System Maintenance

How do I go about doing this??? Is there something to it other than cleaning up useless files?? if you have knowledge concerning this, please give your suggestions

also, is it possible or safe to compress an entire filesystem. how do you go about doing this??? any information is appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Board Maintenance

Just a remark now the board has grown to considerable proportion. I see too little of an active hand(s) maintaning the boards, clipping away dead posts, moving posts that were created in the wrong forums etc. It's a bit tiring to see alot of threads ending in: this has been covered before, do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Operation and Maintenance

I gurus of Solaris, I need to do a Procedure concerning in the Maintenance of Solaris Server. What are the parameters that I must be see Periodically in a Server. For example the space I (df -h) must be each week.- In this server exist a Database aplication (Oracle), and log's that increase or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintenance script

Hi Guys i wonder if anyone can help. i want to create a script that checks multiple servers for disk space availible, cpu usage for past 24 hours. as well as check if all the hardware components are still doing their jobs. i will be doing this in the tcsh, can anyone help? OS = Sun Solaris 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

7. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

9. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies
cf-know(8)						      System Manager's Manual							cf-know(8)

NAME
cf-know - cfengine's knowledge agent SYNOPSIS
: cf-know [options] DESCRIPTION
: The knowledge management agent is capable of building and analysing a semantic knowledge network. It can configure a relational database to contain an ISO standard topic map and permit regular-expression based searching of the map. Analysis of the semantic network can be per- formed providing graphical output of the data, and cf-know can assemble and converge the reference manual for the current version of the Cfengine software. cfengine is a self-healing configuration and change management based system. You can think of cfengine as a very high level language, much higher level than Perl or shell. Asingle statement is called a promise, and compliance can result in many hundreds of filesbeing created, or the permissions of many hundreds offiles being set. The idea of cfengine is to create a one or more sets of configu- ration files which willclassify and describe the setup of every host in a network. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
: --help, -h Print the help message --build, -b Build and store topic map in the CFDB --debug, -d Set debugging level 0,1,2,3 --verbose, -v Output verbose information about the behaviour of the agent --version, -V Output the version of the software --file, -f Specify an alternative input file than the default --manual, -m Generate reference manual from internal data --manpage, -M Generate reference manpage from internal data --stories, -z Look up stories for a given topic on the command line --syntax, -S Print a syntax summary of the optional keyword or this cfengine version --topics, -T Show all topic names in CFEngine --test, -t Generate test data --removetest, -r Remove test data --updatetest, -u Update test data AUTHOR
Mark Burgess and CFEngine AS INFORMATION
Bug reports: http://bug.cfengine.com, .PP Community help: http://forum.cfengine.com Community info: http://www.cfengine.com/pages/community Support services: http://www.cfengine.com This software is Copyright (C) 2008-2013 CFEngine AS. Maintenance Commands cf-know(8)